SRS Best feeling day of my life since i can remember/very littel anxiety.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by quamen, Apr 11, 2007.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

For those who dont know me, i dont post much on this forum. Im in my mid 20s and I suffer from social anxiety/being nervous in situations and just in general. When im in large groups of unknown people such as in class,malls etc i get very nervous most of the time and feel no confidence. So nervous that i sweat alot and cant help it.

Today i woke up feeling the same as usual and did what i had to do before school. I wasnt looking forward to today,because i had to give a presentation with a partner in front of the whole class so that wasnt helping. I went to school and as i entered the school, I saw a guy in a wheelchair. I almost cried when i saw him and really diddnt know why. He was a teacher and I believe was paralazyed or disabled with his legs. I look at him and he looks at me and gives me a big smile and says, "how are you doing", I saw im doing good and I ask him the same question and he responded with something like "great".

right there that change my whole day leading to here. I was very early for class and sat down thinking I have alot going for myself and why am i like it. I actually thought to myself that im able to walk, im able to attend school, im almost done with my degree, i own a small business, im happy with myself, why am im going to be nervous, have anxiety all the time cant i just be confident and happy with myself?

I realized i really wasnt sweating almost at all, when i gave my presentation i wasnt nervous at all, i looked the class in the face. AFterwards i was able to go to a crowded store and shop, and looked at everyone and gave them a smile. I felt like a million dollars and i really dont know why. This has been one of the best days of my life since i can remember.

2. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

Well congrats I guess...

3. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Good for you. That's what a little dose of perspective does for us sometimes.

4. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Man, that's awesome. It's great to hear something like this amidst all the other pain and misery of every day life. You were given an opportunity to really make a difference in your own life and you took full advantage of it. Congratulations.

I have a problems with social anxiety and talking to people in intimate settings, but on the flipside, I do standup comedy (well, I haven't done it in a few months). One of the things that really drives me to do it is the fact that peoples' (Americans, mainly) #1 fear is public speaking. I look at that and say, "Well, so many people are afraid of it, and I can actually get up there and do it." That really motivates me. The point here is to realize that every single eye that is on you is just as afraid of being up there as you are, and you have nothing more to worry about than anyone else. You're actually in a better position, because you're up there doing it, while they're sitting there in anticipation, and the anticipation is the absolute worst part.

5. quamen

quamen New Member

thanks for all the replies guys. Im not playing off the fact that im like wow that guy is hanicap im happy now. I just think sometimes we dont realize what we have,and complain/worry about alot of things that we shouldnt. I really dont complain but worry all the time and degrade myself. I couldnt believe i was callling myself lazy when i work part time for a company, own my own business and go t school just because i wanted a few days off or whatever. i just cant take everything for granted and realized everything is all not that bad. Why should i be afraid to talk to other people, always think they will think negative of me etc. I dont know how long it will last,but hopefully more days come be like that one.

6. Roddy

Roddy Guest

Congrats man.

I believe this will be a big step for you as a person, and will help you out immensely for the rest of your life. ie: confidence and perspective on the world :)