Best fan and hard drive locations?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I'm building a new system in a full tower case, and I have two options for mounting my hard drives. One is placing them at the top half of the back of the case, above the power supply. I'd be a little concered about heat from the psu, but there are perforated spots directly beind the drives where I could mount one or two 80 mm fans.

The second option is mounting them at the bottom front of the case, below the optical drives. They'd be away from major sources of heat, but not in the path of airflow through the case.

I have two extra 80 mm cooling fans to use if I need them, but I'm wondering where would be best to mount them. As I mentioned one option is monting one or both above the power supply. I was also considering installing one in the side of my case to cool the cpu (Athalon 1600, may OC it later) and video card (radeon 9600 w/out a fan). Would this be a good idea? If so, should it blow air inside the case, or vent air out?

I'm actually not sure if I'll need any additional fans at all (besides the front intake fan + 2 in the psu itself), but I figure at least one woudn't be a bad idea... opinons? :)

2. freakyZ

freakyZ New Member

So, you don't have any fans on the back exhausting air? I would put at least one there. Is there any site I can go to, so I can see the inside of your case?

3. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I have a front intake fan, then my psu has an intake fan on the bottom, and an exhaust fan on the back. But I have 2 more 80 mm fans I can use if I need them.

I'll see if I can find a pic of a similar case, mine is old and I don't even know what brand it is, I don't think it says anywhere on it...

4. freakyZ

freakyZ New Member

okay, well no big deal. I would go ahead and put one of the fans on the back to pull air out. It will help the case get better airflow. Also, I would just go ahead and mount the HD underneath the optical drives. Just make sure its not in a tight space where it will not get any airflow.

5. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

It's not really in a tight space, but won't really be in the path of fresh airflow either. :dunno: I suppose it's better than being above the psu though.