Best entry level IT job certifications?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SW20 Nick, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

Ive been working in law enforcement for quite some time, but im changing career fields.

I have a Bachelors in criminal justice (which will now be useless), but what certifications could i get for entry level IT stuff? I know my way around a PC's hardware very well (ive built several of my own) i can fix just about any windows problem and i know my way around a TCP/IP network pretty well.

I like the idea of network administration and planning. I wouldnt mind being part of a corporation/company's geek squad. Any ideas? any input is appreciated.

2. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

If you're looking to move into basic support, check out the A+ and Net+ certs. You may also want to look into becoming an MCP in Windows XP or Vista, for higher level stuff check out the requirements for an MCSA or MCSE, or even the new MCITP certs from MS.

3. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Just get a job. Start at the helpdesk like most do. An A+ might help you get in the door, but the lower end certs aren't all that useful.

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd:

5. 7960

7960 New Member

for entry level, who you know is insanely more important than having a cert.

6. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

only too true. My whole career has been on who ive known so far; just moving into this land is a little different.

Ive been looking at the COMPTIA A+ and NET+ certs, i prob could takes those without the class no problem. My real problem is i hate math and cant program for shit. Whats the MCSE like? My father has always told me to take that course.

Who's helpdesk do i apply to? It sucks starting at the bottom again; i dunno how ill take the paycut.

7. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

agreed with 7960 on that comment.

Locally, you'd need a your A+ and Net+ to do much of anything as far as getting in the door.

For the record though, I don't have any certifications......no degrees. Didn't know anybody in our IT department when I applied. Here I am. Granted, I don't make the money that somebody with the right degree would make, but still. I've gone from being a tech, lead tech, help desk administrator, systems administrator, and to an IT Supervisor now. 75% of what I know is self taught. I've been doing computer repair and programming for about 15 years.

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

even consider working in NJ? Right across the river are tons of NOC's. Primary/DR sites for NYC and the rest of NJ. That is a great place to start, that's where I started, not in that area of NJ, but in a NOC/command center. Entry level job with exposure to everything so there's much room to grow, many paths to take.

I personally wouldn't waste a penny on certs. I don't have any certs, never hired anyone based on their certs.

Just take what you can get and go from there.

9. Das-Helmut

Das-Helmut OT Supporter

That or try IDS/network scanning.

10. benk016

benk016 O&A Crew

I got my applied associates in hardware and networking. I'm now the IT manager for some Head start schools here. I found that the certs or degree's didnt help me. I finally put on my resume that I had 9 years experience, as I had started with computer hardware at age 12. That immediately got me a job. Right now it was that experience that they wanted. Once I changed that my resume searches shot up on monster and career builder.

11. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

With a bachelors in criminal justice, your might consider getting into security, fraud or other areas in IT that are similar.

12. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Or computer forensics