Best Desktop Comp. right now

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by repda916, Nov 23, 2007.

1. repda916

repda916 New Member

2. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Guest

build your own.

3. undirected

undirected Guest

Building your own is definitely better and arguably more economical.

That said, my current PCU was purchased as an off-the-shelf "custom" (i.e. they doubled the ram and gave me a bigger monitor and added a week to the wait time" and I spent like 630 after taxes for a cpu with 2 gigs of ram, an amd 64x 4000+ dual core at 2.1ghz, 160gb HD, keyboard, mouse, 19" widescreen LCD, Vista Home Premium, etc. I've since added an 8600GTS (~$130) and a new 500-w PSU (~$50) and it's certainly not a rocket ship, but it plays COD4 on highs without so much as a hiccup, which is good enough for me.

4. repda916

repda916 New Member

Was that with a monitor? Also where Would the best place to get a off the shelf pc? THe only game i really want to play is the new
    need for speed, COD, and CSS

5. undirected

undirected Guest

Got mine direct from Dell, I've used dells a long time and never had a problem with them but IMO their customer service BLOWS after about 4pm EST, when they transfer you over to bangladesh

6. repda916

repda916 New Member

I just ordered the inspiron 531

7. undirected

undirected Guest

That's the same one I got...hope you got the regular sized one and not the slim case, that'll be impossible to upgrade to your liking.

I bet you probably paid less than me for more shit, what did you get and for how much? Like I said, I think I got away with the 531 for 630 shipped after I got them to throw in the 19" widescreen and 2gb ram upgrade.

8. repda916

repda916 New Member

around there ($630) I was going to get the one for $649 but my credit was only good for $641. It's bs, So they downgraded the Cpu to a 4000+ and my hd to a 250gb . thats all good b/c i still have my old HD and the CPu will be good for my needs. How is the integrated video card? worth getting a new one?

9. undirected

undirected Guest

Integrated video card is shit, runs 1.6 pretty decently and that's about it. I'm happy with my 8600GTS that I got from new egg for less than 150 all said and done. That case is actually really easy to upgrade for being a stock tower.

10. repda916

repda916 New Member

I was gonna make a purchase on the 8600gts in a few days.
    Hows the direct10? also the monitor nice?
    i guess what im trying to ask are you pleased? my system is going to be basically just like yours haha

11. undirected

undirected Guest

I'm pleased...but keep in mind that I came directly from a 700mhz dinosaur with a Geforce2 to this, so it's like jumping from a glider to a space ship for me. Is it going to be the fastest system in the world? No, far from it, but it will still be pretty quick and able to play what you want to play fairly well. Personally, if I were you, I'd go for the 8800GT for another 100 bucks or so and call it a day, you'll want to upgrade anyways since the 8600gts is good, but not really best for games

12. repda916

repda916 New Member

im not really a heavy gamer, i just want to play CS and live for speed really the rest is all photoshop and illustrator for the clothing line.