GUN Best concealable handgun for a woman?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Enigma, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Enigma

Enigma Guest

So the wife and I are going to be taking CWL classes here within the next say.. 5 months or so. I'm needing to find a gun that will be good for her to take the class with and to carry once she gets her CWL. I'm covered cause I already have a gun, just want to find a different one for her, one that will fit her hands better. She can shoot my XD40 fine, but I think a bit smaller gun would be better for her. :hs:

Any suggests on what gun we should look for? What caliber? Any suggestions or info would be great.

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Kahr or Sig 239

3. Platinum_Thunder

and if you wanna go .45, get a Para LDA

4. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Thats funny, I have a XD40 and me and my wife will both be taking our concealed carry classes within the month. I was in the same boat as you, but for someone that wont be carrying THAT much I figured that she should test with the best gun she could handle for all situations. So I bought a XD9 subcompact. Its not the smallest, but she shoots it VERY well. And if she ever needs to pull it in the middle of the night, She will be prepared.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

oh man, para LDA's are NIIICE. but i'd go with a Kahr if you can swing the money, or see if she can fit a subcompact glock, specifically, the G26.

really, any pistol that she can conceal comfortably, and will work reliably, is a good choice. that means if she can conceal a full-sized pistol (i don't know how large your woman is) then have her get one. but you have to make sure that the pistol fits her hands. glocks tend to have a longer reach to get around the trigger when you're holding it the correct way, and a LOT of women can't get their fingers in there enough.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Kahr P9 or SIG P239 seem to be the favorites of every female i know.

7. Enigma

Enigma Guest

Ah, thanks for the suggestions. I can really see her liking the Kahr and the P239 that you guys suggested. I also like the Airlite .38 spl, any of you ever shot one? Since its so lite is it gonna have a big kick for my little lady? I kinda thought I would see more revolvers than the one (I think I only saw one) suggested. Not that thats what I'm looking for.. just figured there would be a couple more suggested.

Thanks again.

8. footratfunkface

if she is familiar with firearms, and will keep one clean, get her a reliable autoloader, not a revolver. if she's a ditz with firearms, or won't keep it clean (why get her one then?), you would be better getting her a revolver, for simplicity's sake.

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The Airlites are great to carry but beasts to shoot.

10. Kwik maxx

Kwik maxx Guest

Have her take a look at a sub-compact 1911. Most of my friends with ccw's all tried a glock first(G26), but the eventually went away from them because the were too wide. Most of them are carrying 1911's now, I would have look at the Para carry C6.45 LDA. If she is going to throw the gun in her purse, it really doen not matter much, but if she is going to carry strong side IWB, a small thin weapon is a godsend.

11. footratfunkface

unless she's a big ol' girl. then, she can carry an S&W model 29 any way she wants.

12. Enigma

Enigma Guest

nah, she's quite small.

9mm should be fine for close range self defense type situations, right?

13. footratfunkface

yes. something that would handle +P loads wouldn't be a bad thing, but there are lower speed rounds that work well also, like the 147 gr. Gold Dots.

the key is getting her good at shooting it, and in the habit of carrying it, and loading it with the right ammo. she's going to have to get used to the recoil of the hotter defense loads.

14. Platinum_Thunder

God don't carry something with +p :ugh:

15. Platinum_Thunder

ownage in court

16. footratfunkface

what the FUCK kind of bullshit are you spewing? that's absolute CRAP!

17. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

Another vote for the Kahr. K9 tho not P9... I hear the polymer kahrs have some problems... plus polymer sucks. The Kahr K9 is a really nice looking gun, especially with wood grips. The P9 looks like crap.... plus it will kick more...

being all stainless steel its heavier than a glock 26 or a P9... but its physically smaller than the 26. Get a good holster and you'll forget its there anyway.

1911's are great too (actually much better) but I dont think they are for noobs to carrying cuz of the cocked and locked thing.

18. Jefferson Darcy

:nono:

by that logic you shouldnt carry hollowpoints either.

You shouldnt carry handloads in a defensive pistol... THAt will look bad in court. But I dont think this person is gonna be reloading anyway :dunno:

I carry Gold Dot hollowpoints, 124 gr +P in my off duty (and my service pistol)... Thats what my dept issues so using anything else is a :nono:

but for a not LEO carrying, any defensive factory round is fine.

19. Kwik maxx

Kwik maxx Guest

That is why I sugessted the Para carry C6.45 LDA, it's DAO , so you don't have to worry about a noob carrying in condition one :bigthumb:

20. Jefferson Darcy

yea but a DAO 1911 is like... blasphemy... or something :p

21. footratfunkface

not with the LDA. it's like confession. you know you've done wrong, but you feel good after you've done it.

22. Jefferson Darcy

teh four-pound > you, nigga :squint:

23. Kwik maxx

Kwik maxx Guest

:rofl: