COMIC Best Comics of 2007

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by DoctorDoom, Jan 1, 2008.

1. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

With the New Year upon us, what does everyone think was the best comics of 2007? I've made my own list of categories and my picks. I was going to just list the comics, but I like reading opinions so I've included mine. Obviously we all have different tastes, so everyone's picks will vary. With all the good stuff this year, I have no doubt I've forgotten some gems as well.

For example, before anyone says it, I didn't deliberately forget all the Green Lantern stuff this year. It was the one boat I missed this year, as I haven't read any of it :wtc:. I'll definitely check it out though as trades or back issue hunting.

My opinions are neither fair nor balanced. Feel free to make new categories or ignore others. On to the picks.

Best Ongoing Series:
    Fables (Vertigo). The frog prince taking on the Adversary’s army. Nuff said.

I would have gone with a tie for The Walking Dead, but #33 from last year really put it on a plateau for awesomeness that’s hard to match. I still rush to my lcs every time it comes out though.

Best Single Issue (could be a one-shot or part of an ongoing series):
    Jack of Fables 16 (Vertigo). Good ol’ Jack outsmarting the Devil.

Best Mini-Series:
    Killing Girl (Image). I’m giving this one an award based mainly on the strength of the art by Frank Espinosa based on just the first two issues. He had a replacement artist for the rest, but did provide variant covers.

Best Story-Arc:
    Fables again for “The Good Prince.” I’m cheating here since the last issue of the arc finishes in January.

Best Moment
    :
    Tie:

World War Hulk #1 – “I wanna hear you scream.”

Y - The Last Man #59 – Yorick holding the baton. Seeing that page just made me want to say “Go get her champ.” Well, actually it was more like a “Go fuck her up.” Don’t read that the wrong way, this was in a fight against a villain, not some S&M scene.

Best Graphic Novel:
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier. Has Alan Moore ever written a bad story?

Best Publisher:
    Image. They put out probably the most diverse range of genres. They use good paper stock, with no ads to disturb the flow of the story.

Best comic you didn’t read:
    Tie:

American Virgin (Vertigo). Despite good reviews and topics about sex, this is getting cancelled after 2 more issues (making it a 23 issue run).

Drafted (Devils Due). A twist on the classic alien invasion story. A far superior (are they ever inferior?) race of aliens come to earth and cure everyone’s illnesses. The catch? Every able person has been drafted to fight in a war against another set of aliens, before they come to wipe out Earth like they’ve done to every planet they’ve visited before.

Best New Series:
    The Astounding Wolf-Man (Image). A superhero werewolf with a vampire mentor as only Robert Kirkman could envision. It’s kind of starting slow like Invincible did, but there are hints of a bigger story (like Invincible). The only bad thing is it’s bi-monthly, but that might change.

Best comic to look out for in 2008:
    Resurrection (Oni Press). Aliens have been invading Earth for 10 years. One day they suddenly leave. As the writer would say, “What happens next?” I see this as kind of being like The Walking Dead, where we see how survivors deal with the aftermath. Only one issue has come out so far, but I’ll definitely keep an eye on this one.

Best (by which I mean most annoying) habit of comics:
    LATENESS. How many issues of All-Star Superman came out this year? Batman? Spider-man OMD was supposed to end in November. I rest my case.

Best (by which I mean biggest) let down:
    Like I have to ask. Mephisto can rot in hell. Oh wait…

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  2. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

Fuck yeah. With both Y the last man and 100 Bullets coming to an end, I hope Vertigo has some good shit to fill the void.

3. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Y the Last Man ended this year?

4. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

I think it is ending early 2008 Just one more issue, number 60 left. 100 bullets has like 14 more issues, it will end at 100, so early 2009 for that one.

5. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

Best Comic You Probably Aren't Reading - Immortal Iron Fist :eek3:

6. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

no sinestro war, BAN

7. DoctorDoom

Ahem...

8. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

*Ahem*

:o

BAN!

9. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

:eek3: looks like i have some trade hunting coming up cause i have not read any of the books in your list

10. Nader_D

oh and ban for not putting pride of baghdad in that list somewhere

11. DoctorDoom

Ban for suggesting a comic from 2006 :fawk:

No worries on not reading stuff from my list. Different strokes for different folks and all that. In a way I think it's a good sign that we all read different things because that means there's good stories everywhere.

12. monkeyboy

monkeyboy Mr. Monkey Pants

And for the worst ... the 8 bajillion spin-offs from Countdown, most of which were lame excuses to dredge up old Elseworlds / New Gods characters and screw with them again.

13. Nader_D

as i was typing that i was thinking...huh what if this came out in 06? ah fuck it :rofl:

14. DoctorDoom

:rofl:. I almost did the same thing. I had to double check some release dates since I wasn't sure when some issues came out :o. Of course it doesn't help when some comics come out late :mad:

15. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Immortal Iron Fist is awesomely awesome.

16. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

:bowdown:

17. johnny

johnny shit, baby

I have really enjoyed the political/military satire of the past year. Army @ Love and Kyle Baker's Special Forces are definitely two of my personal highlights (although SF's future is anybody's guess--the second issue already has lost alot of steam imo).

The Other Side was my favorite graphic novel (again, very nice military commentary here). For sheer entertainment/cheap thrills, I really loved the latest incarnation of The Spectre, in his Infinite Crisis and Tales of the Unexpected graphic novels. I actually have them in magazine form, but they have been collected. Very reminiscent of the "Wrath of the Spectre" era. Batman makes an appearance in Tales wearing a totally awesome costume -- it's all moth-eaten and torn. I think it's supposed to be horrific or tomb-like, in the spirit of the title, but it just struck me as simply how any crime-fighting costume would look after a while.

Biggest disappointment -- Edgar Allan Poo. Did not care for the art that made the final edit. It would have been nice if it played it straight with the horror also, rather than stretching to what I would guess is a role-playing game audience.

I remain one of those guys who puts Amazing Spider-Girl among the top favorites.