Best combo for my brand new 2005 Subaru Legacy GT?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by iLLt3ck, Mar 30, 2005.

1. iLLt3ck

iLLt3ck OT Supporter

[​IMG]

Color is called Atlantic Blue and I'd love to be able to take the "Dealer prep" swirls out of the paint and give myself a good base to work from.

I'm not looking for anything fancy and preferrably easy to apply by hand.

Please recommend a great combo to get my car looking top notch!

2. iLLt3ck

iLLt3ck OT Supporter

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

About the only thing that is going to get out the Dealer Sand paper wash is a PC and some SR2.0, or heaven forbid they are really bad, somthing like 3mPI, or DACP.

There are not to many hand products out there that will adiquately remove swirling that bad from those god aweful ratty wool mits they washed your car with.

Top it off with either some P21S, or some NXT, and see which you prefer. The p21s will give a deeper more pearl look to the paint really playing witht he color, and the NXT will give a glossier more reflective look to the paint, and will draw the metal flake in the paint out.

But as for had application...i wouldent know what to use. Its hard to get out swirls be hand, and the product are mostly smoke and mirrors that say they do.

Hopfully someone else can be a bit more helpful.

4. iLLt3ck

iLLt3ck OT Supporter

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I'm going to invest in a random orbital buffer!

I'm looking to bring out the pearl coat, but I want to give the NXT wax a try just to say I did it.

So basically I'm looking at:

NXT Car Wash
    DACP
    P21S

So far ...

any other suggestions?

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Rule #1 when buying a new car....

Write into the contract "no dealer prep" and make the sales manager sign it. If they won't, walk. If the car is prepped, refuse it. Make sure they understand exactly why. You do not have to accept a car with swirls in it. If people would refuse poorly prepped cars, the dealers would maybe actually train their employes to do the work properly.

I would definitely jump down the dealer's throat hard core. Get some quotes from independent detail shops and make the dealer pay for it....but take the money and buy a PC and pads.

I'd go with DACP or #80 and a Meguiars polishing pad or Excel green lite cut pad to remove the swirls, Clearkote's new Red Machine Glaze ( www.exceldetail.com already has it...use their blue finishing pad) for your glaze and top with NXT x 2 (using a Meguiars finishing pad or Propel's blue finishing pad). Apply the second layer of NXT 24 hours after the first application. If you can get Meguiars #16, top it with that, or Poorboy's Natty's Paste.

6. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

I am one of the people who prep the new cars at the dealership I work at :hsd:

Those pictures of the black sport trac in the other thread are what we have to do to the new cars though. I have not had one complaint about any car I've done :wiggle:

7. Scottwax

What products and techniques are you guys using? Most dealerships use filthy wool pads, rotarys set on 3000 rpm and whatever bulk wax was cheapest that week.

8. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

for products we use blue coral. A guy comes once a week to stock us up.

our wash pads are washed every night. Rotary doesnt go over 1k.

I work at a pretty big dealership ~175 employees, and one of the only ford dealers around with a full body shop in it, so that is always really busy, so they send some of that work up to us, so we are like a quick body shop. We are taught how to wetsand too.

:dunno:

9. Scottwax

Why do you use a rotary to apply a wax? Rotarys are for paint correction. I really, really hope you aren't using wool pads to apply wax, even if they are clean. You will end up with rotary holograms even at 1000 rpm.

Switching to Porter Cable RO/DA buffers would be a lot better, IMO.

Blue Coral ain't that hot either. I know you don't get to make that decision but Meguiars #21 Polymer Sealant probably would be a much better product for dealer prep.

10. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

misunderstood that :hs:

We apply the wax by hand with terry cloth sponges. The wash mits for washing the cars are washed every night, as are the wax applicators. We only use the rotary on the used cars that come through that have problems on them that the customer wants fixed.

I dont know why we use blue coral :dunno: The stuff that we use the most is "paintguard" from the "permaplate" package that they sell for $695, where we basically wax it, and scotch guard the interior.

11. Scottwax

That is why I can only work for myself. I want total control over the process and the products.

I bet the dealer is keeping most of that $695 and not passing on a very large percent to you, who is actually doing the work.

12. iLLt3ck

iLLt3ck OT Supporter

Most bang for the buck Scott, shoot!

Wash
    Clay
    etc

I need the best combo and the best place to pick this up!

Thanks for your help!

13. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

If I was choosing we wouldnt be using what we use. I see none of that $695. I get paid hourly. I think that money goes to the salesman :squint:

14. Scottwax

For wash and clay, check the product list.