Best combo for a brand new car?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 127.0.0.1, May 9, 2004.

1. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

What should I use to detail a brand new TL, perfect paint, so I dont think I will need any kind of scratch removing wax. I used zaino this time, but am not sure about how much I liked it as much as I did on my legend (not very good paint).

I have read all the stickies, but couldn not really find that good of an answer in them.

I need all the steps to detailing, not just wax.

Thanks a bunch

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you want all the steps to detailing, go to www.autopia.org , register, and click on the 'learn' icon. Also, download the detailing e-book. Well worth the $10.

Once you go through all that information, you will have a better idea of what you are looking for and it will be easier to point you in the right direction.

3. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I know how to detail a car, I used to professionally detail cars. I Just havn't done a new car in a long time. It would be much easier to just tell me what I should use. Save both of us a lot of time, since I know you know what to use

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

5. Scottwax

Based on that, you make it sound as though you need me to run down every detailing step it is going to take.

I don't have a concrete answer I can give you on the best products for your car. I don't know what look is best in your eyes. Do you like sharp reflections? A deep, shimmering pool of liquid?

6. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

Sorry, I made the first post early in the morning, just worded it wrong. I meant to say that I need the products for each step.

I prefer a wet look. I like that look on metallic colored cars. That alright?

7. mycoplasma

mycoplasma New Member

from what I've read and learned:

1. clay kit to clean up the paint surface; even though it's new but it may have sat around for a while in the lot or gotten "rail dusts"

2. depends on whether you are going synthetic sealant or carnauba route... if you go the carnauba route, a pure carnauba with no cleaner like S100 would be good. If you go synthetic, Klaase AIO/SG, UPP, Black Fire, Meguiar's NXT are all pretty good.

3. Maintain with a quick wax spray.

Hope this helps.

8. Don_Rumsfeld

Don_Rumsfeld Guest

You forgot a polish/glaze in between the clay and wax/sealant - the type you use depends on the finish you want and if your paint need any swirls removed etc.

9. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

i do not think i have to remove any paint swirls, because the car has only been washed with a car wash sprayer (never a mit or towel)

they had the car for i think two days before we bought it...but i can handle claying it.

what are the benefits to synthetic/carnauba?

Thanks

do you all recommend poorboys polish?

10. Scottwax

Here are the steps you need to take.

1. Wash the car to remove loose dirt and contaminants.
    2. Evaluate your paint. How does it look in the sun? Is the surface smooth? Any swirls, scratches, paint transfers, etc?
    3. Remove bonded contaminants. Clay to make paint glass smooth, polish off paint transfers.
    4. Correct below surface defects like swirls, scratches, etc.
    5. Protect the finish.

Do not be suprise if you need to clay and see light swirls, cobwebbing, etc. when you look at the clean paint in the bright sun. At that point, you need to correct any of those issues first. Clay the paint if needed and use any polishing steps you need to make the paint as flawless as possible since wax alone will not correct those issues.

I like Meguiars Professional line (80 series) and Poorboy's SSR line for paint correction. Either line and proper polishing techniques will get your paint as perfect as it can be.

If you want a real wet look, go the carnauba route. If you want a mirror, go synthetic. Bear in mind, you will only get 5-10% of that effect one way or the other if the paint is properly prepped. Carnauba products I have used and like are Meguiars #16, Clearkote's Carnauba Moose, S100, Pinnacle Paste Glaz and Souveran, Poorboy's Natty Paste Wax. Sythetics I like are Poorboy's EX-P, Meguiars NXT, Meguiars #20, 1Z Glanz Wax. If you want to use a synthetic product that has more of a carnauba look to it, you can try Poorboy's EX w/carnauba or the Wolfgang Pre-cleaner and Sealant.

Again, I can't really make an exact recommendation because I cannot get inside your head and know exactly what you consider a perfect shine.