Best cold air intake for an 03 Civic

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Chris90210, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

With K&N and AEM I am seeing several CAI some at $160 and other for ~$220 what are the main differences between them? I am not wanting to make my civic fast. I bought the car for gas mileage and if I drive it right I can get 38.5mpg and a co-worker and I are wondering if I can bump it up over 40 :mamoru: What would be my best bet on a CAI?

2. project15

project15 New Member

You should route your air conditioner air into it :bigthumb:

3. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

:bowrofl: wtf

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

All the CAI kits are pretty much the same. Just look for silicone tube connectors and the fewest bends you can get.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

generally CAIs will hurt mpg -- not help.

6. deusexaethera

It depends. If the stock intake looks like intestines, like the one on my friend's Tiburon did, then it will help gas mileage by reducing pumping losses at higher RPM -- and let's face it, Japanese engines are designed to run fast.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Gonna waste $200+ on some kit? Might want to re-consider.

"Design" one yourself, go to Autozone and get the tubing and the filter. I did this for my MR2 and spent about $30. Works great, 3" Spectre filter, AFM adapter, and 3" coupler...that's all I needed for a short CAI.

They make "kits" that are similiar to what I bought, and they are $100+ some of them. Why? I have no clue, brand name I guess. I think it's a waste if it's not going to be a show car or something that has to look pretty.

8. P7

P7 You have something on your tongue, let me get that

Save yourself money and get a k&n drop in for the stock box.

9. project15

project15 New Member

I did an ebay special short ram on my eclipse and got slightly better gas mileage. It definitely depends on how your current intake is setup restriction wise.

10. deusexaethera

Hopefully you know that a CAI is only a CAI if it pulls air from outside the engine bay. I don't know what kind of car you have, so I suppose you might actually have a really short path from the MAP/MAF sensor to the edge of the engine bay, but in all likelihood a "short CAI" is really just a short-ram intake, which doesn't really accomplish a thing.

There are two things to consider before buying a CAI, kit or custom:

1. Is your stock intake restrictive?
    2. Does your stock intake not reach the edge of the engine bay?

If the answer is "yes" to either question, then a CAI will help. If the answer is "no" to both questions, you're wasting your money on shiny tubing and you should just buy a K&N panel filter.

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Look at the engine bay for an 86' MR2. The stock system is ridiculous, and extremely restrictive.

Going from this...
    http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/intake/6oldstuff.jpg

To this...
    http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/intake/6newstuff.jpg

It draws air from the vents on the engine lid, so it definetly gets it from outside the engien bay. The stick system drew it from below the car I believe.

http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/intake/14closed.jpg

Similiar to that, but my filter is actually a lot bigger, and it's mroe directly located under the vent.

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

If anything...it sounds super cool :p I pretend I have a supercharger when TVIS kicks in...wheee!

13. deusexaethera

The end of the tube needs to stick out of the engine bay in order to guarantee cool air at all times. When idling, an intake that only reaches to the edge of the engine bay (especially the top) will just pull in hot air wafting off the engine.

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

This is what a lot of MR2 guys do. http://carpron.com/multisite/v/Upload/mr2_reverend/intake.jpg.html

It sucks air from underneath the car. I don't have any links, but there is actually mroe air traveling under the car than around the engine lid. If you're going ~70MPH and you have the engine lid unlocked, the air will actually make the lid float in the air a few inches :noes:

Unless my car is SEVERELY overheating, idling shouldn't be a problem. It's not been a problem for me yet at least. My issue is rain water dripping onto the filter when it's parked outside. If I'm actually driving it's alright.

15. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

When buying an intake, you are basically paying for their R&D and the material itself. Manufactures do a decent amount of research to find out what area in the engine bay/wheel well is best for the intake. You can buy an eBay intake, but PLEASE do not use the filter they give you. They are usually poor quality filters that can let harmful debris into your engine. Buy an intake, ditch the filter, and buy a nice K&N filter. All set and done! My CAI is a Fujita F5 and it sits right infront of the wheel well and I haven't run into any problems yet. A CAI can increase milage assuming your stock intake is somewhat restrictive, but a lot of people "explore" the upper RPMs more with an intake because of the sound. Although it's a cheap piece, its functionality is vital to the lifespan of your engine. A little bit of water and you're done....

16. deusexaethera

There's not really any R&D involved in making a CAI anymore. You just take a bunch of straight, 135-degree, and 90-degree bends, some silicone connectors, and a knife, and you put together a tube that runs from the MAP/MAF to the nearest wheelwell and you cut a hole in the liner for the tube to pass through. It takes about an hour.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not sure on the tiburon, but many new cars come with variable-length intake runners. This maze of "intestines" that you refer to actually HELPS performance.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:mb: :mb: :mb:

You do realize that K&N is recockulous for letting shit into your engine, right? They are heavily critisized for not filtering nearly as well as other filters.

19. ///M

///M New Member

I was able to get 43mpg overall (2800 mile trip) in my 04 civic with an aem short ram intake i got for cheap on 7thgencivic.com.

for the d17, the aems seem to be the best, but there's an ebay company that makes a CAI which has the same dimensions and whatnot of piping as the aem CAI, as well as a transmission cable relocation bracket, like the AEM.

Since you're not looking for a performance increase you'll be fine. The d17 doesn't do anything with boltons, it's tuned pretty well from the factory in terms of overall performance (torque, hp, fuel economy)

20. deusexaethera

That heavy criticism is itself recockulous. I wish I could remember where I saw it, but somebody took a FRAM air filter and cut it into squares and used each square to trap dust that was allowed to pass through each air filter he tested. The dust trap from the K&N test was darker than the dust trap from the stock air filter test, but not by much -- and the K&N filter doesn't produce nearly as much garbage. A car can go through, what, fifteen stock air filters in its lifetime? It will only need one K&N filter.

21. arse

arse New Member

i bought an intake for the same reason you are. it deffinitley helps with the mpg in my integra, but it also makes me want to explore those higher rpm's like the other guy said.

i went with injen, found a really good deal online, i dont think i even paid 100 with shipping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]