Best cleaning program?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I was reading that when you delete things from the recycle bin they don't really get deleted, it rather stores misc. files into the registry and elsewhere on the computer. What program do you guys recommend for cleaning these junk files out?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You heard wrong.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

^
    Well, empyting the recycle bin doesn't necessarily get rid of the files. He heard wrong that they're stored in the registry but he's right that the files aren't necessarily gone.

4. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

:werd: i know that many files are saved for Windows Restore Utility. So is a registry cleaner all i need to keep it clean?

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

When you delete a file from the recycle bin, the file system replaces the 1st character of the file name with a special character. That tells the system that that space is available for reuse. But the file itself isn't destroyed until the space is actually reused. Google "disk erase" for lots of utilities.

6. jung918

jung918 Member

I use Mutilate File Wiper.

7. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

What about Shift+Delete? does that get rid of files completely, or simply bypass the recycle bin and rename it?

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The issue here, I believe, is twofold.

First of all, when a file is deleted, the only thing that gets erased is the file's entry in the disk's table of contents; the actual data is still there, but without a matching entry in the table of contents, it is much harder to piece that data back together into a usable file. The reason that files aren't completely erased is because this takes a lot more time to do, and the data will get destroyed anyway as soon as a new file gets written into the space that the old file used to occupy.

Second, Windows System Restore saves backup copies of several different kinds of files (but not ALL of them) so that they can be restored to their former condition if Windows stops working properly. This rarely involves making backups of the kinds of files anybody would keep their personal info in, so it's not a meaningful security risk.

If you are concerned about hackers, the government, etc. getting hold of your hard drive and reconstructing files that are no longer listed in the table of contents, you can get a program like Norton WipeInfo and use it to thoroughly erase the contents of your Recycle Bin from time to time. Doing so involves repeatedly overwriting the old data with random patterns so that magnetic "shadows" of the old data can't be detected, so don't expect it to be a fast, click-it-and-forget-it operation.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

Last I read, if someone has your physical disk, there are programs that can "go back" up to 7 overwrites and retrieve the data. That's why all the military spec programs overwrite many-many times.

one reference to the "7 pass" thing
    http://www.purgeie.com/secdel.htm

but for the most part, any shredder will do........ pick one
    http://www.programurl.com/software/shred.htm

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

WipeInfo has a setting to perform a DoD (Department of Defense) wipe; six alternating passes of all 1's or all 0's, and a final pass with alternating 1's and 0's. Very effective.