GUN best cheap way to get into shooting .22lr bolt action for newbie

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cp5184, May 30, 2009.

1. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

I'm sort of a gun nerd. I like reading about them, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I'm on a tight budget, so .22lr seems like the obvious place to start. should I just visit all the local gun stores looking for a cheap used rifle? I've seen some sites show old russian olympic rifles in stock, but they seem to be going for about $400 which is a lot more then I'm looking to spend. fixing up/refurbishing an old rifle would seem like a lot of fun. Is there anything I should be looking for?

How do ranges work? are there like 1 day fees? like $30 for a day?

anything obvious I'm missing? It seems like walmart's a good place to pick up ammo?

Thanks

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Get a Ruger 10/22. Cheap, and lots of accessories.

Ranges vary, some charge by the hour, some by the day. Indoor ranges typically charge by the hour, and it's anywhere from $10-$25/hour depending on region, etc.

3. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I bought a used bolt action .22 for $65 at my local gun store. It's about 40 years old, pretty beat up, and not very accurate, but it's still plenty of fun.

As for ranges, it varies. Some you pay and can shoot all you want for the day. Some require memberships. Some you pay per hour. Etc. My range allows you to shoot as much as you want for $9. They also sell memberships that get you free targets per visit and unlimited free range time for a flat yearly rate.

4. mstad

mstad New Member

What he said. If you're gonna get a .22, there's no reason not to do this.

5. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

You'll be hard pressed to find any ammo right now for some cheap shooting. Here in Az, an outdoor range run by the AZGFD is $7 for all day ($15 for shotgun range IIRC). Indoor ranges are 15/hour, and have ammo restrictions that you can fire.

Best bet is to find the range and then read up on them. 9/10 they'll have some video or safety thing you have to watch before you start.

6. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

You can pick up a Marlin Model 60 from walmart for about $150.00. 14 round, tube fed auto-loading. Bolt stays open on the last shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

I don't understand the draw of semi automatics, just more stuff to break down, and how much longer does it take to shoot bolt action? look at world war 1&2?

so just look for something cheap at local gun stores? no good sources online? nothing in particular to look for?

and walmarts are even out of .22lr? the revolution must really be coming

8. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

savage mk ii can be had for around $200...and its bolt action.

[​IMG]

9. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

afaik, most cheap BA .22's have feed problems... That and semi-auto rifles are pretty simple in design. As far as the difference in speed... you're kidding right? Autoloaders are WAY more fun than BA's for plinking... and what if you decide you want to blast some ground squirrels... You're going to be sol with a BA. Just my 2 cents.

10. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

i think its a matter of opinion. i like shooting bolt action over semi auto. dunno, just find it to be more fun. for practical varminting, a SA would probably be better.

11. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The 10/22 is the most popular .22lr long gun ever made, don't worry aobut it being auto loading, it's reliable.

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

So bolt action .22s have feed problems, semi-autos are a simpler design, and you need to have a semi to shoot ground squirrels or you're fucked? I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM YOU :ugh:

Thread starter, please disregard everything from the above quoted post.

13. +1

Bolt guns are better to learn on for many reasons, one being that you're less likely to just blast at the target than you are with a semi auto. I find that when I shoot a bolt gun I take more time to make sure I'm making a good shot.

14. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Never said that. :hsugh: and yes, if you're shooting varmint and you miss, you're pretty much fucked with a BA. As opposed to a autoloader you can just follow up. But whatever... I don't know why I bother posting wmd... :rofl:

15. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Neither do I.

16. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

so gun makers can't even get bolt actions right I'd heard there were gas problems with m16 carbines, but bolt actions?...

looks like I should pay more attention to single shots. the old russian olympic single shots seem too expensive... just shop around locally for a good used single shot bolt action, or a regular bolt action that doesn't have feed problems?

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  17. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

18. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

My savage bolt cost me about 120 OTD at walmart 2 or 3 years ago and as far as feed issues, it will eat up all the value pack crap, the only thing it does not like is exposed lead bullets, but frankly I don't like exposed lead bullets.

As far as an auto vs a bolt for plinking it is definitely a personal item, I bought my 22 for the bolt and for the cost, sometimes there is an itch that only a bolt, lever, autoloader, revolver or break action can scratch. Plus to me there is something deeply satisfying at times about doing it all myself and if it takes 2 seconds longer a shot, well as long as I am having fun with it who gives a rats ass.

As far as needing a semi-auto for varmint, ridiculous. That means I shouldn't be able to kills squirrels with a break action pellet gun, but yet I do, even if I give a warning shot first. It is just a matter of what you value, there is something about a bolt gun . . . plus if you take your time to line up the shot correctly and the shot is within your skill level you probably will not miss.

I am not saying that you are wrong or that a semi is not the right gun for you, but there are a lot of personal opinions, preferences, experiences and general use criteria that vary from person to person, to be able to say a semi is the best gun.

On to the original poster.

For bolts I really like firearms made by savage, like I said above I got mine at walmart, as with many guns it has its likes and dislikes when it comes to ammo, just got to find what works and stick with it.

As for ranges it varies greatly, in my area we have two options, a private club with a yearly dues (I forget what they are maybe 100-200) that has 5 ranges, including shotgun or a free public range in a national forest run by fish and wildlife (payed for by ammo taxes) that is rifle pistol only. there are ones that charge by the hour or by the visit, you will have to see what is in your area.

Walmart is probably as good a place as any to pick up ammunition if you are going to buy locally.

19. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

it's internet sarcasm

or is feeding easier on semi automatic rifles then it is on bolt actions?
    having to delete images from posts you're replying to is annoying

20. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

21. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I'm not sure whether you're looking for ultimate reliability, accuracy, or something else.

I have fairly limited experience with inexpensive .22lr guns. I have a 10/22 that shoots amazingly accurately, but from an academic standpoint, I'd get better accuracy with a bolt gun. The problem is that the bolt equiv. of the 10/22 is like $700 instead of $200.

If you just have a craving for a bolt gun (I totally dig that, I can't wait to get a remmy 700, and I'd love a lever-action), then get something like a Marlin (I assume they're at least ok guns, I've never shot one nor read anything about them, but lots of people seem to have them) if you're on a budget. If you're not set on getting a BA rifle and are looking for affordability, reliability and the option to modify the gun in the future (better barrel, trigger, stock, anything else) you'd be better off picking up a used or new 10/22. They're basically the Chevy 350 of the rimfire world.

As far as ranges go, the local outdoor(rifle) range charges $5 for one bench if you're shooting rimfire and $10 if you're shooting centerfire and you get it for as long as you want to hang out there. If you pay the super inflated membership fee, you shoot for "free" and have access to the members only range which is nothing special.

In terms of ammo, considering the shortage, buy what you can get (Wally world sells a bunch of diff. types but nothing particularly special), and shoot it til you get a feel for your gun. Once(if) you start shooting for small groups, you may consider picking up expensive target ammo. I buy mine at the range that I shoot at because a)they have it, and b)they don't charge outrageous prices. YMMV