best camcorder?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by oakback, Nov 10, 2008.

1. oakback

oakback New Member

I'm supposed to be getting a new camcorder for christmas from the in-laws, and they want to know what kind to get. I like to do things right the first time, so what should i ask for?This would be used for family and recreational stuff by various tech savvy and non tech savvy individuals. Ease of use is a definite plus. I donakt know if this is the standard or not, but i'd like to be able to upload to the computer and edit/add music, but also be able to play stuff on the tv (be able to burn to dvd i guess).

2. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I have a Canon HV20 and like it quite a bit. I bought it a while ago now so they should be fairly affordable if you look around.

3. oakback

oakback New Member

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

4. donson

donson New Member

i was looking at the hv30, and my main concern is, how long are minidv's going to last as a form of media? should i go away from tapes and go to hard drive/flash memory style camcorders?

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

..doesn't the hv series have both? I'm almost positive mine does.

6. oakback

oakback New Member

From what I've read about the HV20 and HV30, the video is recorded on the minidv tape, and still shots are recorded on the SD card.

There's a REALLY great review about the HV20, which gives lots of info about making a camcorder purchase in general, here.

Here's in excerpt regarding storage types for camcorders (from December 2007, I believe):

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

That could be. Admittedly I have hardly ever used it. Matter of fact I think I've shot two half hour videos with it and that's about it. I've been thinking of selling it because of how little I use it. I need to research how much they're going for in like new quality. I have a few small add-on's as well.

Also after reading the quote you put up, my computer must fall under the "old shitty" kind because I can't transfer anything over to my computer. Had I known that before I would have gone with the HG-10 or something else.

Time to do some homework.

8. oakback

oakback New Member

Yeah, I'm trying to pay attention to the computer side, I'd hate to buy a camcorder then not be able to do any editing or anything (and I'm not in a position to upgrade my computer).

I'm starting to lean more towards flash storage, I like the idea of a lot less moving parts, and flash memory is still dropping in price on a regular basis.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  9. donson

donson New Member

oakback - if you do purchase a flash hd camcorder, please post a review

10. oakback

oakback New Member

Sure thing. Though whatever I choose will be my first in-depth camcorder experience, so I don't know how much my review will be worth.

11. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

Are you looking to do HD stuff? Personally, I'm not ready for it. Not only is my computer not equipped to do HD editing (it's very computationally expensive) but I have no software that can comfortably do it nor do I have any Blu-ray authoring software or burning equipment. I'll be entrenched in SD video for a while, I think.

Whichever camcorder you get, I'd recommend one with hard drive storage, at least. Tapes are obsolete. I don't know how much you know about DV (industry term meaning Digital Video) but when you capture video on tape you have to recapture it to your computer which is an annoyingly long process, not to mention that you have to have tape cassettes. With hard drive storage, you just copy the video from your camera to your computer just as you would any other disk file. It's even in DVD compliant MPEG2 format so you don't even have to re-encode it for DVD if you avoid editing...

Solid state is even better if you know you'll never film long contiguous scenes. I don't know what you plan to use your camera for but solid state storage wasn't good enough for me...

12. oakback

oakback New Member

N/m, we're getting the Canon FS10. The wife was shopping with her mom at CostCo, and saw it on sale, so she got that. I'll check it out when I get home.

13. mojito

mojito New Member