Best Buy is the worst

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by et3rnul, Jul 19, 2007.

1. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

My friend's parents went to bestbuy the other day to buy a cheap laptop that they could use for email, internet, general office stuff. One of the salesman was selling them on a Compaq for ~400. He said that the computer came in two versions, one with anti-virus + anti-spyware installed and one without. He told them that they didn't have any models without the other software installed, and the laptop with the extra software would cost $130, software + labor :eek4:. It was the cheapest laptop they could find. They needed it that day, so they ended up buying it. Anyways so that night, my friend calls me up to meet them at the restaurant they own to fix their internet because the laptop wasn't connecting. I checked a few settings in IE, and found that it was using some proxy at 168.94.74.68:8080. Unchecked it, everything works fine. Anyone know what that proxy is for? Quick google showed that alot of people who buy bestbuy computers have that on there.

Anyway, I hate how sales people try to rip off others who don't really know much about these things. In this case, its an older generation that didn't really grow up with computers. $60 bucks labor to install something that takes maybe 8-10 minutes max, are u fucking kidding me? People need to stop buying computers from retailers like this.

2. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

retailers job is to sell products, consumers job is to know what they're buying. he didn't scam them.

i'm not sure what the proxy is for and don't have time to research it, i'll get back to ya later if no one's helped.

3. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

yeah I realize that its unavoidable in sales and that's just how the world works, more sales. still blows though.

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

true, but if you're in the market to buy $400 worth of equipment and you're not familiar with it, i'd just think it'd be a smart practice to go with someone who knwos their shit.

like i'm not gonna go shopping for $400 worth of car stereo equipment and trust the sales person. i'm gonna go with my friend who installs car stereos and knows whats up.

5. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

The proxy is what the geek squad uses to connect to their internal server.

6. Reclaimer

Reclaimer I said I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it

best buy's sales staff are the biggest asshats on earth... they wanted me to purchase a laptop with vista 64 bit instead of 32 bit...because its outdated...

so if its outdated, then why the fuck is it on the shelf and in the ads in the paper for me to buy it?

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You ever see in the Dilbert comic strip where the Alice chick gives "the fist of death" to people that piss her off?

Well that's what I always feel like doing when some sales shmuck tries to talk shit to me.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby