Best Buy Insignia speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Harry V. Gina, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

After reading all the positive comments about these $50 bookshelves on audioasylum.com I picked up a pair on sale for $35 over the weekend.

They are actually really good for the money. The sound is well balanced and they have a nice, punchy bass. If you are looking for a cheap pair of speakers you cannot go wrong with these.

2. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Most of the insignia speakers I have heard leave much to be desired on the bass and treble levels. Not sure which ones you are referencing, but, I guess 35 bucks, you can't be too dissapointed right!

3. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

They are surprisingly nice to listen to. I find that most inexpensive speakers have really boomy bass and peaky treble which makes them very fatiguing, but these are mostly free of that. Their biggest issue is that the cabinet is really flimsy which masks a lot of mid-range detail and adds a little too much "warmth" to the sound, but I plan on reinforcing it later on. There is already and upgrade kit available for them: http://www.gr-research.com/insignia.htm

I've been giving my NHT Xd speakers (about $7k) a break for the last couple of days and have been pretty happy listening to the Insignia's. Of course the NHT's easily surpass them in every category (as they do most speakers), but it's nice to know that I could be happy listening to a pair of $50 speakers with an inexpensive receiver and an iPod.

4. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Interesting read :cool: