Best Bookshelf + Integrated Amp Combo?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ittech, Dec 20, 2003.

1. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

I've been looking for a kick ass 2 channel integrated amplifier, and some monitor/bookshelf speakers...

I'm willing to spend up to $2500 total on this setup, new, used, whatever...

Right now, my top choice is:

Creek 5350SE Integrated Amp (stereophile Class-A component 2003)

and

Soliloquy 5.0s Bookshelfs

I'm also looking at:
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated Amp
    Red Rose Music Spirit Integrated Amp
    Red Rose Music Spirit Bookshelfs
    B&W Nautilis 805 and other B&W's
    NHT
    Pardigm
    Dynaudio
    Theil cs 1.6
    Snell's mk.5
    polk lsi7
    and some others...

I'm looking for a small integrated preamp/amp which all 3 i have mentioned are, so i'm pretty set on one of those 3, but the bookshelf i'm not so sure about..

I listen to Rock, Rap (occasionally), Vocal/orchestra, pop, pretty much everything but country. :greddy: :fawk:

So i'm looking for the most dynamic, balanced, transparent, and expansive soundstage bookshelf i can find in my range...

Any suggestions? Anyone have a sweet bookshelf setup?

thanks

2. 04

04 Guest

Have you considered JMlabs? Also, do you plan to use a subwoofer, or does the speaker need to be pretty much full range?

3. ittech

don't like the sound of the JMlabs, would prefer B&W's to them...

The speaker needs to be as full range as possible, as it will not be used with a subwoofer... It's for my new home office i'm setting up. Also a sub would run me another $1000 or so.. I may add one later but don't want to feel like i'm missing everything below 100hz until then...

4. ittech

also i tried the polk lsi9 and denon pma-2000ivr in my house for 2 weeks courtsey crutchfield...

lsi9 had a port defect that rattled at certain frequencies and speaker was just way too boomy midbass, and the denon was ok, but i wasn't "really impressed" for 1199.99

5. ittech

I picked up a Creek 5350SE at a local high-end shop for 1200 w/ tara labs interconnect for preamp>amp connection...

I am SO impressed with this amp... Stereophile Class A for integrated... I've never heard an amp this good in my home, it made my cheapy pinnacle main speakers sound 2x as good or more... Soloquiy? 5.0s's are on their way for my bookshelfs... will review when i get them. :)