Best Blank Media

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Sep 1, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

Ive done some looking up, and I noticed that Traxdata is a reputable brand, they received some award for there media. But I was looking at the prices, and they seemed lower than say, memorex, which is what i use now for everything.

Basically I'm just looking for CD-R, DVD-R and DVD+R

Any suggestions?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It really depends on what kind of drive you have.

Search around on CDFreaks and DVDRhelp and look up the model of the drive to see what others use.

I just went through this with my new Sony DRU800A burner. The DVD-R's I always used with my old burner were giving me calibration errors on the new drive, so I had to find others. I bought a few 10-packs here and there and finally found ones that work best.

3. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

i actually have that same dvd drive. what do you find to be the best?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

So far, The Sony DVD-R's from CompUSA work the best. I also tried some TDK 16X DVD-R's that work ok and I also got them at CompUsa.

My old Sony burner loved the Ritek G04's, but the last batch I got were giving me power calibrarion errors on the 800A.

I also found out that if I burn any faster than 4x or 6x, I have some problems with the discs in my players.

A lot of places I've searched on said to limit the burn speed to 4x or 6x max.

5. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

yea i read that too. sometimes when i burn 'certain things' at 6x, the image on the disk is significantly lighter than if i were to burn it with my other burner at 2.4x. but this only sometimes. and when it burns like that, the other 'dvd drive' i put it in never recognizes it. when dvds are burnt like that, with a light area, is that called a "coaster"?? ive had it happen a few times with the sony drive, but never with hte HP that it came with, and i think it has something to do with the speed im burning at, which with they sony, as you may know, doesnt go any lower than 6x. have you found a program where u can bypass that and forcefully burn slower than 6x with the sony drive?

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What program(s) do you use? I use Roxio EZ Media Creator 7.5 for data and DVD Shrink for video.

Also, the speeds you can burn at depends on the disc. The Sony's I have are rated at 4x, 6x, and 8x which means you can't burn slower than 4x or higher than 8x. Other discs have a writing speed of say 1x-6x which means you can burn as slow as 1x.

If I burn too fast, I start getting gaps in the write path. It almost looks like a multi-session CD and none of my players like those. I guess it was too good to be true to burn a DVD at 16x.

7. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

well i have two drives. Ones a HP DVD Writer 300c that writes at 4x. But I use Memorex DVD+R and When I put it in the Sony drive, the options are 6x and 8x. When I put it in the HP drive, the options are 2.4x and 4x.

ive tried it on numerous dvd burning programs like nero, dvd decryptor, alcohol 120%, super dvd copy, and dvd shrink.

8. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Best Media would be something like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Someone told me that TDK DVD-R blue top 8X media and Datawrite DVD-R 8X (with lead in code TTG02) are very good media to use with the DRU800A, but I have yet to find them anywhere...

For now, I'll stick with the Sony's since they are working well for me.

10. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I use the Sony 8x DVD-R's and on my nec 3520 they burn at 16x. Since I started using them over 200 discs ago, I've had 2 coasters.
    For CD's, I like the TDK's and Verbatim.

11. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

whats a coaster? is that when u burn a dvd but it burns really lightly and results in a faulty disc due to a high burning speed?

12. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I call a coaster anything that doesn't read/play after a burn... Some drives and players are picky about the media and quality of a burn, so if they don't work for me, it's a coaster.

13. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

ya thats like with my memorex dvd+r, 1 out of every 5-8 cds i burn doesnt burn correctly if not burnt below 4x speeds.

so what do you think is the best blank media that are 4x. oh and, that doesnt effect the read speed right?