Best AT&T Phone for Chronic Texter?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaIceMan, Sep 28, 2007.

1. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Hey all... my daughter's current phone (SE Z252 I think) has shot craps for the 3rd time. She is available for upgrade, so I want to pick up something decent for her. She uses about 3500-4000 texts a month, so something with good text-ability would be great. I'd like to go as cheap as possible, but still get something dependable due to the amount she uses it. All recommendations are appreciated, but please only recommend phones that you have personal experience with. Internet rumors need not apply. kthxbye.

2. DaIceMan

says it's discontinued... and I don't see it on the site.

looks like the only real qwerty options are the Blackjack, blackberry or palm. All of which are more than she'd ever take advantage of.

3. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

The Iphone isn't terrible and texting is fairly easy, but the Apple plans do kind of suck. I'd recommend the Blackberry 8820, it's really a email/texting centric device. It's on the older Edge network so she can't blaze though bunch of data and run up her bill too much if you don't add a data plan. The good thing is it has embedded GPS so you can put Telenav track on there and see where she's and and for how long from the comfort of your home :o

4. Slick

Slick New Member

iPhone's texting is terrible for someone use to using a traditional keypad with T9 mode or word...

5. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

No, you can't. The iPhone lacks GPS capabilities. And he didn't ask about those.

You can pick up an unlocked Palm Treo 680 for really cheap on eBay or even from Palm and she will have the nice keyboard but not as much extra stuff that the 750, etc have.

6. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

That's incorrect, actually. An actual GPS chip is available in some phones but is in no way standard tech.

There are other ways of passing the requirement for E911, which includes tower triangulation.

Just because a phone is E911 capable does NOT mean it has GPS capabilities.

Now, some phones use aGPS in place of triangulation, but that is not available to the end user to modify or utilize, which sort of renders the point of a GPS null.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, not all phones are as acurate when it comes to locating the user.

my A900 has some form of gps in it, an google maps will utilize it. It's mostly-accurate, but can be off by 10-20 feet, at times.

8. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I didn't say the Iphone had GPS, I said the 8820 does. Lighten up, I am telling the guy about other things he can do that are cool and he might not know about.

I have the 680 and it really sucks, I hate the menu's, the stylus is always off, and I have to reset it at least once a week. I would not recommend it at all. However, the new Tilt is coming out very soon, it's a cool device, I'm sure your daughter will like it.

9. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I picked up an SE W580i a couple of weeks ago and I love it so far...and I'm coming from a Blackberry 7100g.

The Blackberry's predictive typing annoyed me to no end, but the 580 is surprisingly better so far and much easier to teach new words to.

I still wouldn't mind having an iPhone, but I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised with this thing so far.

10. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

8125, 8525, or 8925...those are probably the best for texting since they all slide to reveal a keyboard. Since the 8925, you could probably get the 8125 (first model) for cheap on ebay or something similiar. The 8525 (2nd model) is probably still kinda pricey but most users are trying to sell theirs since they upgraded to the 8925.

And yes, I use the 8525 and I did play around with the 8125

11. Cam

Cam New Member

I don't know how old your daughter is, but if she's in HS(most chronic texters are), a windows mobile device isn't the best option imo. Window's Mobile devices and blackberries are designed for business. If you think she wouldn't mind carrying around a bigger device, give it a try. They're the only phone's with full keyboards. Most kids want something smaller though.

I'd just take her to a at&t store and let her tap away to see what she likes. I have a SE w810i and it's awesome, but I think they just retired it from service. The w580i is it's "replacement". t9 text entry is just as fast as using a full qwerty.

12. DaIceMan

thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to crack her phone apart and find a broken/bad solder joint and fix it for the time being. Hopefully it will last a little longer, her upgrade isn't actually until January, which falls at birthday time.

13. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (8925: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) Opera 8.65 [en])

8925 FTW