Best application for 80/83 combo?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by El Slotho, Apr 22, 2010.

1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

Over the past year I have become decently adept at using the 102/205 combo since Scott recommended it. I have now sourced the 80/83 polishes to use on my single-stage E30 and haven't had any luck finding the best recommended application process for this combo. It will be applied with a Flex 3401 and the paint is thin in parts so I know I have to be careful how aggressively I tear into it.

Thanks for any/all advice, all. :bigthumb:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Without seeing the paint in person it is hard to tell you exactly what to do, but I'd start with #80 and a polishing pad. If you need more ooomph, then switch to #83 before going to a cutting pad.

I think you will be really pleased with how Meguiars 80 series polishes work on single stage paint.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I have to be honest, I don't think I've ever tried using the #8x series polishes with my Flex DA in all the time I've had the tool. Guess I'll have to at some point just to see where the level of cut falls in the middle compared to using them with my old-school PC or my rotary.

4. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

The paint is thin in spots as mentioned, and even more infuriating are the rotary trails all over the thing that really announce themselves in the right light. I've been battling them for a while, and figured I would switch to the 80/83 combo because I had read that it's better for the single stage finish. I have resigned myself to ultimately repainting the car in order to finally be satisfied with the thing, but it's not happening this season.

As always, thank you and thanks to the detailing forum for the invaluable advice.

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I've never used either 80 or 83.

If Meg 80 Speed Glaze is similar to their older Machine Glaze product designed only to fill swirls, I'd use it with a blue or other finishing pad. If the paint is actually very thin and you're concerned about removing too much, it may be worth it to skip the compound entirely and just reapply the glaze when the rotary trails return.

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

M03 Machine Glaze is a "pure polish" -- no abrasives. M80 has similar polishing characteristics, but contains diminishing abrasives to facilitate defect removal.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

#80 has some cut and it eats oxidation.

8. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I was just gonna say this. I used to never have a detail I didn't use 80 on before 205 came out. Makes me wanna pull out my 80 and DACP on my dad or mom's car when I'm home on thursday.