Best, and cheapest way to remove the yellow in a plastic headlight lense?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Acid Burn, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Acid Burn

Acid Burn Hacking the Gibson :-x

Alright I searched and it pulled up a few threads, but they apply mostly to glass lenses and stuff...

I have a white '91 Volvo 940GLE, and all headlights/fogs are crystal clear (new), however, I have a single foglight that's pretty yellow.... it really sticks out on the car, and I'd really like to make it clear if this is somehow possible...

If I can make the plastic clear again, what's the best thing I can use?

Tried rubbing alchohol, didn't do much, just took a layer of dirt off that nothing else would :mamoru:. Am gonna try polish tomorrow...

Ideas? :noes:

Also, the paint still looks great but it has some spots and marks on it that scrubbing won't take off... fairly new marks too. :squint: Other than claying, what'll take them off, if anything?

:o

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  2. black 3g

black 3g Guest

you might want to try flitz. my buddy uses it on all of his cars and loves it.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Polishing usually works.

4. miahmouse

miahmouse crash test dummy

If polish doesn't work, light sanding will.... Ultimately the only thing that will look new is a new lamp...

5. balticmkiv

balticmkiv boostaholic OT Supporter

this is a common problem for my car as well. Usually you can get away with some light wet sanding with 2000 grit paper than some plastic polish such as Nexus or the Meguiars plastic polish. For the extreme cases people bake the headlights in the oven at 100 degrees for like 10 min then pop the lenses off the plastic housings. The inside of the lenses are then polished till the yellow is out.

Carlo

6. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

this sounds really strange and no one will probably believe me but try taking your favorite metal polish to it, works better than anthing else ive ever seen, then id probably take the plastic polish to it. It takes the yellowing off in just a few swipes.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Yeah, metal polish should work well. Good suggestion. :)

8. White95Max

White95Max Guest

Mothers magnesium/aluminum polish.
    Plexus polish.
    I haven't tried Flitz, but I just got a FREE sample today. Now I'm on the search for yellow headlights to try it on...