Best Amp for under $300

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wongerbonger, Nov 22, 2003.

1. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

I've been hearing that the JBL 1200.1 is good..

2. 04

04 Guest

Its a good amp, the only issue I have with it is that it doesnt have a subsonic filter.

What subwoofers and enclosure are you going to be running?

3. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

what does a subsonic filter do and what are the benefits of having one?

4. 04

04 Guest

A subsonic filter is really a highpass filter. It simply is set very low in frequency (like below 30 to 20hz). It typically has a steep slope to prevent woofers in ported (or even sealed) boxes from over excrurring, becauase below the tunring frequency in a ported box you typically have a rolloff of 24dB an octave, and if you go low enough in frequency, the box provides no load against the speaker, allowing it to excur quite far with only a relatively small amount of power.

5. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

i have no idea?

i am jus tryin to find a good amp, and i'm going to start building my system from that

6. 04

04 Guest

Well take a look at the Lanzar vibe 1200D and the DEI 1100D as well, they are pretty similar to the JBL in terms of power output.

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I've been told the crossfire amp's are comparable if not better. :dunno:

8. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

so if you had to pick an amp to start out your system with.. which amp would you pick?

9. 04

04 Guest

I would pick the Lanzar vibe 1200D because I believe it's the cheapest of the bunch, and they all put out around the same power. It also has a subsonic filter.

10. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I would decide on subs and amp at the same time, you need to make sure you get subs that have an impedance that your amp will handle. If your amp puts out max power @ 2 ohm, then you don't want to get dual 4 ohm voice coil subs if your amp won't run @ 1 ohm, and you won't get the full potential out of it at 4 ohm.

Just some food for thought.

11. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

So if i go with the Lanzar Vibe, what type of Subs would you reccommend

12. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

That is up to your personal taste in music. I don't know how you like your bass to sound, or how loud you want it to get, or how much you want to spend. Nor do I know what it will be going in, or how much room you have. I think you are going to have to do some research before we can really help you more.

13. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

ahhhh, this is like old school sound domain all over again...

I assume you're going for mega-wattage subwoofer power, if not...listen to the other guys, tell us what you want from the amp and we can give you a better rundown

I personally do not like the JBL 1200.1 or the Lanzar Vibe 1200D...not sure how they got in the same post as the DEI 1100d which is a damn good amp...speaking of sounddomain, see what those dei viper amps are at right now...pretty good sale going on...

14. 04

04 Guest

What about the 1200.1 and 1200D makes them so inferior to the 1100d? Both have been benched to put out 1200+ constant watts, so I am wondering what the problem with them is?

15. denim

denim New Member

soundstream rubicon 1002 at million buy

16. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

okay.. here's what i want in my system :

I am getting a 1999-2001 Explorer (not sure what year yet) and I want to buy one 10" or 12" sub to put in the back and one amp to go with it. I want my bass to be loud and obnoxious :hs: I want to be able to set off car alarms and have people know i'm coming when i'm a couple miles away... But i also want it to sound good in my car as well as outside my car... are there anymore details that you need in my taste's?

17. 04

04 Guest

If you want bass loud like that with one woofer you are going to have to get one of the ultra high excursion drivers like the Brahma, IDMAX, W7, XXX, etc. Thats going to cost you around 400 or more.

Is there any reason you don't want to go with a 15" woofer, or more than one woofer?

18. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

well i figure the sub is going to cost me a lot of money and i was planning on getting one of those that you had mentioned anyways..

but the reasons why i dont want two subs is because i want my system to be as minimal as possible. i want my system to be stealthy and if i have a big ass sub box with two subs in it in he middlle of my trunk, it won't look as nice..

same reason with the 15" is that it'll be too big and take up too much space

19. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Elemental Designs e15A only takes a 1.5^3 box and will hang with the above mentioned drivers, cost less, and doesn't need as much power to do it. Same with the e12A, but it takes a max box size of 1^3.

20. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

yeah, but someone told me they take forever to get

21. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

They are on backorder right now. I sent them an email yesterday asking when they should be shippng again. If you want I can let you know what they say when they respond tommorrow. Once they get all the backorders filled, they will be shipping immediately. But the e12A is in stock now.

22. denim

denim New Member

if you want to set off alarms, you goign to need a lot of power, and a large sub in a large ported box, honestly if you tight on money check Ebay, and the classified sections on Sounddomain, Termpro, and SSaudio.com, I think CBRstereo is selling the RF power 12 for around 249, and KickinAudio.com always has good prices

23. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I used to set off alarms with my two 8 inch bazooka tubes running off a 4 channel alpine V12 amp, each sub was getting less than 100 watts rms.

24. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

so would one e12a + a decent amp be sufficient?

25. 04

04 Guest

2 would be a lot better. And the JBL 1200.1 is too much power for only one of them. It would be enough for two.

I have a similar setup with a single Stryke sae1204 in a 1cuft box. Its powered by a lanzarvibe 1200d which puts out around 500watts into 4ohms. Its loud for listening in the car, and you can hear it from around 50-100 feet away but its not enough to shake other people's cars, etc.

If you want max output, a large vented enclosure with as many woofers and as much amplifiication as you can afford is key.