Best Airflow?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bencorn, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I have the Stacker 810 case with 3 harddrive modules mounted in the front. Each of these has a 120mm fan mounted on the face of it and they are currently blowing inward. There is also an 80mm fan on the top of the case blowing outward, a 120mm fan in the rear blowing outward, and the two 80mm fans in the power supply also blowing outward. I'm trying to cool my video card and motherboard down a bit more so I can overclock. My CPU temps are fine but any help in that area would be appreciated as well. My question is, how should I have these fans for the best air flow or should I have more exhaust fans to keep up with the 120 intake fans? There is a spot for 2 more 80mm fans on the lower rear of the case, would it help to suck hot air down toward that, pull cool air in from the back and forward, or just leave it as a metal plate? Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't put fans in the bottom. to cool the video card, get a cooler that can occupy the slot adjacent to it.

as for the mobo, zalman makes improved northbridge coolers.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

If you still have the stock cooler on your vid card, use software like rivatuner or atitool to adjust the fan speed. On my setup, my vid card idle temps went from 60* to ~45* just by bumping the fan speed from the stock 30% to 50% max speed, without any noticeable increase in noise.

4. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

You want more air going in than out.

5. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

So I shouldn't switch the direction of my front fans? Because the front of my case holds 11 hard drives that are being cooled by the 3 120's. Should I still have those facing inward or should I flip them so it pulls heat off of them and out of the case instead of blowing it into the case? The rivatuner is a good point, I forgot I didn't have that anymore since I switched OS's.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no you want the air blowing in over the hard drives.

7. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Thats what I thought but I wasn't sure if it could be better to pull air out of the case to keep the hard drive heat from going inside. I'll try the rivatuner thing to ramp up the fan speed to see if that cools shit off in there. Thanks guys.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

what used to work for me was having the side of the case open and having a big window fan blowing into the case. it is awesome because the fins in the heat sinks would be nice dust catchers.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that is bad for several reasons. Congrats on ruining the faraday cage principle. Congrats for introducing static-charged lint and air into your chassis. Congrats for clogging your heatsink. Congrats on not being able to build a proper thermal solution.