Best $500 Amp...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alnen, Dec 6, 2002.

1. alnen

alnen Guest

I need high quality music, but I also want SPL. I like my music loud. Anyway, this amp will be powering my 2 12" Cerwin Vega DVCs. Let me know what I should get!
  2. 04

04 Guest

Do you HAVE to spend that much?

How about that amp?

Or the Lanzar vibe 1200d?

Or Audio Engine 800 watts @ 2 ohm Amplifier (Black) with free FMOD

Or US Acoustics USX1000D
  3. alnen

alnen Guest

I don't HAVE to spend that much, but I will if necessary. Are the one's that you listed what I am looking for? I know how many watts they SAY they have, but some brands are really over;y-optimistic about the wattage of their amps. I will take a look at the ones you listed. I don't want to pay for more than I need to, so whatever would go best with the speakers I mentioned are all I need (sql and spl). Thanks!
  4. alnen

alnen Guest

btw, these are DVC speakers with 4 ohms per coil.
  5. 04

04 Guest

Well, every one of those amplifiers puts out their rated power, I can't verify the Us acoustics though...

I would personally get the Lanzar vibe 1200d because it is only 230 bux, and it puts out its rated power. I have used them and can vouch for them....

And it is stable to a 1ohm load, which is what you would get if you wired all 4 of your voice coils in parallel.
  6. alnen

alnen Guest

OK, and it gives high quality sound right? That is my main concern and why I am willing to spend so much.
  7. MrBlonde

MrBlonde Active Member OT Supporter

Jan 12, 2002
    for under 500 you can get a cadence A7...
    High Current class D but it has great sound quality to it and awesome power to boot and good looks
    Just my unbias opinion
  8. 04

04 Guest

Yes, it gives high quality sound. If you are willing to spend so much money though, get the adire revolution, 1.5kW, that is a lot of power, a good amount if you decide to upgrade you subwoofers in the future.
  9. lsondubz

lsondubz Guest

mtx 81000d, just upgraded to it, freaking awesome
  10. alnen

alnen Guest

do you guys have links to said amps?
  11. 04

04 Guest

12. alnen

alnen Guest

I am thinking I am going to get the Adire Revolution. I know it has the power, but does it have the quality???
  13. 04

04 Guest

When you say quality, do you mean sound quality or build quality? If so it has both, Adire is a very reputable company, and the amplifiers response is probably within a decibel from 20hz to 150hz, more bandwidth than your subs have....

So yes, it is a great amp, and it should be great. The only concern you might have is that it has a lot of output, and you could blow your subs if you crank it up for too long....
  14. alnen

alnen Guest

OK, thanks for all the info! I will be buying that amp! I won't turn it up all the way very often, but if my subs should happen to blow, I will just buy some better, more powerful ones! Thanks alot for all of your help! I have heard that a capacitor would be unecessary for this type of setup, should I buy anything (ie aftermarket alternator?). Also, I am probably going to get these: Do you know if they are any good? I have a Kenwood KDC-9017 HU, so would I need an additional amp? Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it!
  15. 04

04 Guest

I personally think capacitors are unessecary in most systems. I also think that you should probably not worry about the electrical system, until you actually have everything installed.

As for the speakers, those are pretty expensive, have you given other brands such as focal a thought? How did you come to want to buy those infinitys?
  16. alnen

alnen Guest

They were suggested to me by someone on this board? Should I get something else? I definitely don't have my mind set on buying those. If you know of a better speaker for a good price, please tell me. I have no idea what I am buying (at least for that part of the system). Will I need a new map too or can I use my Kenwood KDC-9017 HU?
  17. 04

04 Guest

Well, if you are going to spend 300 dollars on a pair of speakers, I would certainly buy an external amplifier for them!

I would get either of those before I got the Infinity's. They are cheaper too.

That amp would have plenty of power to drive either pair....
  18. alnen

alnen Guest

Awesome man! I really appreciate all of your help!!! So, knowing what I will be purchasing, how do you think my system will sound?

Kenwood KDC-9017 Head Unit
    Adire Revolution D1500.1 Amp
    2 12" Cerwin Vega DVC Subs
    Custom Ported Enclosure
    Focal Polyglass 165v Component Speaker System
    US Acoustics USX2100 Amp

And that is it. Wow, I am REALLY excited about all of that stuff! I don't really know how to install that stuff, so I am getting it professionally done. I'm guessing it will cost around $200 for installation. Is there anything I should tell them to do special (ie special wires?) Is that all I need for my system? Once again, I appreciate all of your help!
  19. 04

04 Guest

No, no special wires. Just get the generic stuff. They WILL try and sell you an expensive pair of RCA cables, and speaker wire, just tell them no thanks.
  20. Mycophiles

Mycophiles Active Member OT Supporter

Jul 18, 2002
    Umm... Ive heard that a bigger cable from your alternator helps the lights stay bright.

Your system looks nice dude. The focals are awesome and you will be very impressed with them. Good luck :bigthumb:
  21. 04

04 Guest

:big grin:

Well yes it does. Having a larger diameter cable allows for less voltage drop in the line at high ampere draws from the electrical system. Car's are already quite low voltage, and the more voltage drop you get, the worse.

A lower voltage is what causes your headlights to dim.