GUN Best 357 Mag round for black bear

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jayhat, Sep 6, 2009.

1. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

So this Friday I am going on a 4 day hike (mid cascades, WA), I have a 357 mag revolver that I recently bought. I haven't had much time to acquire the appropriate ammo.

I know 357 is less than ideal for bear but its better than the 9mm I usually carry in the woods. BTW this is an absolute last ditch effort for protection...

I have been able to acquire 3 boxes of ammo and want to know which would be best for black bear or mountain Lion.

• Hornady 140 gr. HP (polymer tipped)
    • Blazer 158 gr. JHP
    • PMC 158 gr. JSP
    I'm thinking the 158 jsp's for the most penetration, but I'm not sure. I know the 180 gr. or 200 gr. hardcast bullets would be best but there is no way I can get them before i go.

2. Not knowing the details of the terminal ballistics between the rounds you've listed, I'm inclined to agree that the 158gr JSP would be the best.

That said, it really would be a last ditch measure. My woods carry bear round is a 230gr hardcast 10MM round.

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

357 mag for a black bear or mountain lion :io:

4. I'd be comfortable using .357mag on a mountain lion. They're really not that big, and they're not so thick that the .357 would have trouble disrupting internal organs. Obviously a more powerful weapon would be better, but mountain lions aren't built like tanks.

5. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

I'm not taking it hunting for bear...like i said, last ditch.:ugh:

A lot of info out there says its okay for black bear protection. There will be no grizzly's.

6. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

7. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Jesus dude. He just wants to be able to kill a bear... not the entire species.

8. The bears are evil and they must be punished.

9. Foolish

Foolish Well-Known Member

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Federal Tactical and HST loads.
    Speer Gold Dot 125gr JHP

11. copeland

copeland smarter than you

Depends on the type....

[​IMG]

12. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Bear mace. Saved my own ass before, and my brother uses it on polar bears occasionally and it works out fine.

13. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

14. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

negative. In this case, penetration > expansion (bears have much tougher skin and bones than people, which is what those bullets are designed to damage). which indicates heavier, harder bullets.
    @op, if you can get a ball-type FMJ load, that might work out, or a hardcast, full-pressure Keith-style SWC, or a heavy RNFP bullet. I'm kinda preferable to a hardcast SWC myself, just because of the long track record, and because instead of just pushing shit around like a round-nose type might, it'll cut around the edge of the bullet.

Of course, a decent, not-too-quick-expanding JSP or SJSP would do the trick, too. Just make it heavy enough, driven hard enough, to go through thick tough fur and skin, and into or through vital organs.

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:dunno: what the fuck do i know about killing bears. bring a 12 gauge with slugs.

16. acoop101

acoop101 New Member

That would do the trick but I don't thing he's looking for a long gun solution. Might I suggest one of those short barrel 500 S&W for any serious hiking in bear country? Took one on my raft trip in Alaska and was glad we took it since we saw brown bears every day multiple times a day. For the most part though they will run the other way before you even see them, it's just that 1 time in 1000 when you come between a mother and her cubs you gotta worry about.

17. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

That is pretty much what I was thinking. Bears are WAY thicker/more dense than a human, so I would think that normal SD rounds designed for stopping humans would be less than ideal.

Obviously, a high powered rifle or a shotgun loaded with slugs would be many times more effective than any hand gun....

18. Section8

Section8 .

on fucking polar bears? :eek4: talk about a situation i NEVER want to be in...