GUN Best .22 Conversion kit for an AR?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by UberDuberSoldat, May 18, 2009.

1. UberDuberSoldat

UberDuberSoldat Lord, beer me strength. OT Supporter

I was looking at cieners, and there's one at cheaperthandirt. Basically just a bolt housing replacement, with a different magazine and it shoots .22lr instead of 5.56. Any recommendations here?

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

its hit or miss with all of them from what i've read. i've got a ceiner and have had zero problems out of it with the black dog mags but there are people out there that hate theirs b/c of problems

3. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

There have been numerous threads on this. Most of the conversions are the same, except for maybe the Spikes version which is nickel plated and has an o-ring on the end of it.

I have the CMMG kit in a dedicated .22 complete rifle. I have Black Dog mags and some CMMG mags (that I haven't tried yet). I have yet to have a single failure with about 500 Rem Golden Bullets and 500 Federal Bulk through mine.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

CMMG is good to go. If you get a lemon like I did they have great customer service.

5. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I just ordered the spikes kit. Will report on its function.

6. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I've heard ciener doesn't have any customer service (no working phone #, no e-mail, no address to write to, etc.) so if your get a lemon you're basically screwed unless the dealer you get it from is nice. Since the ciener and CMMG are basically identical just get the CMMG even if it's a little more.

7. UberDuberSoldat

I'm curious on its specific function, does the .22 round have enough power in it to send the bolt far enough back to chamber another round, or does it work differently than when shooting 5.56?

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

The .22 kit is pretty much self contained.

[​IMG]

The kits do not use the buffer spring in the receiver extension, it pretty much reciprocates within itself.

9. UberDuberSoldat

ok so, that makes more sense, i didnt think the buffer tube in the buttstock would let a 22 round push the bolt back very far.
    When people have problems with these conversion kits what are the main issues?

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I think it generally varies, feeding issues have been resolved for the most part with the Black Dog and CMMG mags. Some people get failures to eject which can be attributed to dirty kits, or kits that may still have rough areas from the machining. Usually they break in after a couple hundred rounds and work well.

I haven't had experience with a kit that has never had a malfunction, but my new CMMG kit is pretty close. Fixing one malfunction every couple hundred rounds doesn't bother me much knowing I can practice within 75 yards or so for almost 10x cheaper than .223

11. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

I've never had a problem with my ciener kit

12. kds000

kds000 New Member

i love my cmmg kit

13. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

The only "problem" I've had with my ceiner kit is that when it gets a little dirty (after about 300 rnds), it starts to short cycle during fast firing stirngs. It has enough power to eject the spent case and feed the next round just fine, but it doesn't have enough power to push the hammer all the way back to reset the entire firing system. Well since it's almost at full hammer-spring power, when it falls forward it "slam-fires". This ONLY happens when firing rapid strings and a burp of 2-3 rounds only happens.

I haven't really used it much at public ranges since I've developed this "problem" for fear of someone calling me out. This sucks because the .22lr kit is most fun to rapid fire since there's basically zero recoil. I need to cut a few coils off the spring on the Ceiner bolt to see if that will help with the short cycling. It's not that it's really going full auto since if I do a slow pull on the trigger to the rear it will engage the disconnector no problem and do 1 shot per 1 pull, but when I am banging away on the boogerhook and not doing full trigger pulls, it tends to jump a little. I need to try this on two of my other lowers and see if it still has the same problem.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

here lies
    jeepilot's dogs

15. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

The Spikes kit looks pretty good. Too bad I just blew $500 on axles for my car. :mad:

16. bobotech

bobotech New Member

I have an odd one. I have an original Air Force 22 kit for my air and 7 mags for it.

Runs perfectly though so I'm happy with it. Just no high cap at this time.

Cost me under 130 bux for all the mags and the bolt.

The odd thing about the Air Force kit is that it is gas assisted blow back. Yup, actually has the gas thingy in the top of the bolt.