WEB Besides templates...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dmckee77, Feb 19, 2009.

1. dmckee77

dmckee77 New Member

Besides downloading web templates, are there any sources for graphics to throw into pages, or anything else that might be helpful to me?

I'm severely graphicly challenged, but I love a nice looking site, as I'm sure everyone does. I just hate scrolling through pages of crappy templates. AND I'm totally a noob, so I don't know any sources. Just freewebtemplates.com, and the likely google returns...

Maybe you all have site recommendations :x:

2. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

You can usually find decent templates at http://www.oswd.org/

As for graphics, depends what you mean and want. There are tons of places to find images and pre-made graphics like buttons and navigation bars and all that type of stuff but you still have to integrate it into you site. There are also plenty of photoshop tutorial sites out there to teach you to make pretty much anything if that is an option? They walk you through the steps usually so no need to be super creative.

3. dmckee77

dmckee77 New Member

Thanks for the reply lol. I was thinking I would get none-feedback on this one.

Maybe I could learn some photoshop. It just seems a little overwelming cause I'm trying to learn a lot at once :p and the funny part is I don't know what I'm making yet! AND I have no time!

I just have a passion for webdesign, what can I say? Always enjoyed creating pages.

I was looking for anything that was easy, that would allow me to focus on learning code, and I realized that templates are just that. I need nothing else, and if I do I can learn some photoshop. It really isn't that hard, I'm sure. :mamoru:

Thanks for the website above :)

4. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

:rofl: at the comment about photoshop not being that hard to learn

5. Ractoon

Ractoon Shibumi in progress...

6. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

When you think of things in that manner then you can really classify anything as 'easy'

I can write a bunch of jarbled up css/xhtml but it isnt 'easy' to write efficient, validating code unless you have knowledge and experience.

The same goes for photoshop, sure you can use layer styles and filters but that doesn't mean you can give a layout or design the elegance it takes to make it look great.

With that said, photshop might be easy to function (aren't programs supposed to be?) but that doesn't mean it's easy to make good looking graphics. Just like anything else it takes practice and more practice to be good at it.

7. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

P.S. not trying to sound like a dick, just giving my input :o