GUN Beretta silencer question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by black96gtvert, Sep 11, 2005.

1. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

Hey everyone. IM chris and i have a problem....
    Im addicted to guns...
    okay now that thats out of the way

i have a beretta p92 brigader and was wondering about buying a silecer for it such as gemtech or AWC but i was wondering ahat actually makes the silencer hold. My barrel doesnt have threads or anything and im sure this is a newbie question but i juist dont know the answer so flame away but give me some help with it. Its 9mm of course and suggestions of certain suppressors is appreciated thanks!

chris

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Gotta get a threaded barrel; IIRC, the threaded Beretta barrel is about 1/2" longer. Good luck on the endevour.

3. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

If you stock barrel already sticks out 1/2" or so I'd get it threaded and call it a day, there is a QD system for the 92 but honestly I'd stay away from it because it becomes difficult to change host guns. If I were to get a suppressor today it'd have to be an SWR Trident with all mounting solutions.

4. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

My old Beretta Vertec in 9mm with AAC Phantom and Surefire X200:
    [​IMG]

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Sweet picture! Damn shame that wasn't hi-res!

6. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

There was a Hi-res version, but it accidently got erased I believe. If it pops up I'll put it up for ya.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I'm not familiar with the AWC cans, but last I checked, the AAC Evolution-9 was the best 9mm can on the market, in terms of weight, length, diameter, suppression, and cost. If you have a pistol that uses a Browning-style tilt barrel, you'll have to get the Neilsen devise with the can, which adds a couple of ounces of weight, but you'd have to get that with any can that you attach to a tilt-barrel.

8. black96gtvert

okay i just took some pics this morning. It sticks out about that far now so how would i go about threading it? just ask around at my local gun shops if they do it?

thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

That should be enough barrel to thread, I'd send it to Mark McWillis and have him thread the barrel (trosusa.com). The Evo-9 is a very nice can, however IMHO the customer service offered by Joe at SWR is above and beyond any other suppressor maker currently making cans and that includes AAC. Also with the advent of the 9mm can with interchangeable mounts would trump the extra decibel reduction offered by the EVO-9. Not for nothing but I recently heard the GS9-K3 and it was at least as quiet as the EVO-9, and the Trident is supposedly a decent bit quieter.

Just FYI, you won't need a Neilson device with a 9mm Beretta, just change out the recoil spring and you're good to go (of course you won't be able to put one of those huge/ heavy 9mm subgun cans but a standard 9mm pistol suppressor will work without a recoil booster).

10. black96gtvert

is their someone i can send the gun to and they could do all of it? The threading changing out the spring and all of it?

11. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Uhhh, yeah but it'd be cheaper just to take the barrel out (I'm assuming you can field strip the gun?) and mail it out to Mark. And then when you've got the barrel and suppressor back when putting it back together put a lighter weight recoil spring back in. It really is a very simple thing to do, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it send it to Mark and tell him Nimesh aka "csr" sent ya, hopefully he should hook you up.

12. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I just noticed you're in Louisville, why don't you come out to Knob Creek next month? You'd probably be able to find a threaded barrel (bring your barrel and you might be able to sell it there to) and be able to handle a couple different 9mm suppressors (I'm sure someone has a couple to rent too). I'm going with a small wad of cash to pickup some essentials.

13. black96gtvert

Are you in louisville as well? i used to go up to KCR all the time but lately havent. The thing about it yes i can field strip it and all but i guess amybe im a lil confused like i dont know what needs to be done like which spring to get and all. Would mark do all that? would he thread the barrel and get the correct spring ? i would rather get everything from one person so if something isnt right i knwo who to go to.

14. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Yeah, just ask nicely and he should do it all. As far as spring weights, I'd pick a suppressor first as you want to mate the spring weight to the appropriate suppressor. I live in Atlanta, but we're driving up to KCR for the shoot next month.

15. black96gtvert

oh kool. ill have to call him then about it. Also i hope to see you there but its always so crowded lol

16. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

cool look for the Indian kid walking around clueless.

17. black96gtvert

18. footratfunkface

blkgs4, you should be pushing the hometown heroes, you jerk. None of that SWR gobbledygook.

19. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

You know what Foot, honestly I was always fond of AAC because they were the underdog and provide excellent service and support for a decent price. However since they've got their military contracts they're slowly starting to forget the little guys, and have started to charge for their services as if nobody but the military matters. I'm excited the Kevin & Mike are doing well and hope to see some of this money and experience being used to further suppressor technology for the rest of us, but I just don't see that happening. AAC builds an incredible product, but so does SWR, who is going to rebuild a .22 suppressor after running 20k rounds thru it? Answer is both companies but AAC is going to charge you $200 bux to do it and give you the same old baffle design. SWR on the other hand will not charge you a dime and if they've got something new out that will fit in your tube he'll go ahead and throw that in.
    My first experience with Joe from SWR prompted me to buy an AAC can, but after seeing what he's done for customers and his overall attitude about service it's hard to stay away from a company like that.
    Kevin is an amazing guy who was very passionate about what he's doing, my first and incidently only meeting with him was when I was first introduced to suppressors at Bulleyes in Lawrenceville. And at the time I didn't realize who he was but he stood around and chatted with me about the legalities of suppressors and the market of such an item, really a good guy. But in the end I'll be buying SWR cans, well except for one more AAC can, a Krink can;)

20. footratfunkface

The fact that Kevin talked to you means something. Kevin is not a people person on the whole, though his attitude has changed a lot since the first time I met him. AAC is busy with a lot of military projects, but he does still take care of customers. I know nothing about what he normally charges to rebuild a can, because he's done it for free for my best friend twice now. Granted, Kevin also sold my friend one of eight AAC Cyclones made with the QD attachment, and sold it to him for the cost of materials. Turned out to be around $34 or so. The other 7 cans went to the military. Of course, Kevin did this because my friend is one of the most vocal proponents of AAC cans that Kevin knows, on and off the boards. Having bought 4 AAC cans so far, and probably going to buy two or three more, and having bought roughly 6 or 7 QD flash hiders for his AR's and PSS, and going to buy roughly two or three more for his FAL's, Kevin treats my buddy quite well, and by association, me, too.

But aside from that, SWR makes good stuff, but AAC makes fucking great stuff. I'm not sure on the stats for the SWR Trident, but the AAC Evolution 9 either pars or kicks the shit out of other SWR cans tested. I'm also not sure about cost of SWR cans, so I can't really compare the two companies on a whole lot. I'm just saying that AAC rocks. Maybe SWR does, too.

21. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Yeah I can understand your view point of AAC, but imagine if AAC did that for everybody then you have a company like SWR. And AAC has absolutely nothing that compares with the SWR Trident and from the way Kevin is talking they won't have anything anytime soon.
    After experience these two companies first hand I personally prefer SWR, but if you're getting cheap stuff from AAC and have a first hand relationship with AAC stick with them cause they do make an excellent product. But for the people who don't have personal relationships with Kevin I'd recommend Joe, because he's come thru for people who aren't his best friend. Just talk to anybody who bought a SWR Hems and got it upgraded to a HEMS 2 for free.

22. Gargoyle

Gargoyle New Member

Chris The lighter recoil spring is for use only when you have the suppressor on the gun, though Beretta is a strong gun so occassional shots won't hurt. Keep the standard recoil spring in the gun when you aren't planning on using the suppressor.

23. Gargoyle

Gargoyle New Member

Sorry. I clicked the reply button, not the quote button, but forgot to uncheck the Quote Message box.

24. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

:werd: