GUN Benelli Nova vs Remington 870

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SKuo07, Aug 12, 2007.

1. SKuo07

SKuo07 New Member

Considering purchasing my first shotgun and ive narrowed my choices down to these two, however I am still open to suggestions on other good pump shotguns. Anyone have personal experience owning or firing both of these guns? Pros/cons? Primary use would be for shooting trap and skeet at the range. Please offer up any opinions or suggestions.

2. SKuo07

SKuo07 New Member

On a side note, after looking through the show us your guns sticky, a lot of OTers own an 870

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

There's pros and cons of each. The remington 870 is the most popular pump shotgun out with of course the most and most available parts. It also has a steel receiver. the nova is lighter weight at the expense of having a plastic receiver and delivering more recoil. I think the 870 is a no brainer just for the ease of finding parts.

4. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Without details as to what you want to use it for, I'd say 870 is the default. I have a Mossy 500 w/18.5" barrel for HD but if I were say, trap shooting or hunting I'd much rather use an 870.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

870 /thread

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

the nova is really nice, but the 870 has a lot of aftermarker products. if you do a google search for 870 vs. nova you'll find a lot of comparisons.

7. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

8. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I like my 870. Although I think my Winchester 1300 is a little smoother.

9. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

I bought a Nova and I like it. But I do feel a bit more recoil over an 870 that I fired because it is lighter.

10. SKuo07

SKuo07 New Member

Ive read some things about a heavy trigger pull and a sidearm rattle or something like that. Any complaints?

11. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

rem 870, mossberg 500, and the nova are all great pump shotguns. Get the one you shoulder the best, and feels best to you. Unless you live in bum fuck egypt, you don't have to worry about parts on any of those three shotguns, and any half ass gun smith will stock parts for them.

12. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I have a Nova, but I bought it for duck hunting. I use it when I go around salt water or mud. Plastic receiver and camo coated everything else:bigthumb:

For a home defense piece I'd pick up an 870.

13. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

Comparing my Remmy 700's trigger pull to the Nova's, it probably is heavier and less refined, but not enough for me to complain about. Although I am comparing a rifle's trigger pull to a shotty. I haven't noticed any rattles either.

I just wanted a dirt cheap 12 gauge pump, and I got my Nova for $285. When I go for a semi-auto shotty, I'll probably go for a Winchester SX3. My advice is to get your hands on both and see how they feel. I like the elongated and shaped pump on the Nova. Fits pretty nice in my hand.

14. SKuo07

SKuo07 New Member

When you guys say get one that "shoulders the best" do you mean the one that feels the most natural when bring it up to shoot? Wouldnt this only be an issue with the Nova since the stock cant be changed?

15. Joe Somebody

Joe Somebody OT Supporter

I love my 870. I've had it for 15 years and it's never fouled. Through all the mud and water and dirt it's seen duck and goose hunting I've never had a problem. If it gets really muddy I can dunk it in the water, shoots great for the rest of the day. Lots of TLC at home helps though.