benched a lot tonight

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SpiderOnTheFloor, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

a lot for me at least: 195lbs. I have some issues with my shoulders hence the low bench number, but I have been working with 135-155 in sets of 8 being careful to concentrate on the negative and keep good form because my shoulder didn't like the frat boy bench style. it seems to have paid off. i started with 135 and moved up slowly to 195 and got 3 or 4 reps (no spotter) and my shoulder felt great.

what do you guys think about lowering weight for reps to keep strict form and focus on the negative? I basically was forced into due to loose joints but it seemed to be pretty good

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

who cares about focusing only on the negative, but if you need to lower weight to correct form, you're doing the right thing

3. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

do you know what exactly is wrong with your shoulder?

4. SpiderOnTheFloor

I swam for 10 years and I had physical therapy for a little while right in the middle of that period, but then i stopped training the butterfly stroke (incorrect form early on with heavy training) and it was pretty healthy until the end of the seasons junior and senior year of hs. its the rotator for sure. i have pretty loose joints..i can move my shoulder so you can feel the ball and socket come away from each other very clearly. when i started seriously lifting a couple years ago I bounced the bar off my chest and just strained as hard as i could to get the weight up without paying too much attention to my form.

I used to do db miliary press for shoulder strengthening but now i do lateral raises..mostly out to the side, but some front and some rear delt work too, and i have much less shoulder pain now..every once in a while i will feel it and that is my ticket to a week off from lifting

5. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Is this what makes you think it's the rotator cuff?

6. SpiderOnTheFloor

The doctor said it was. I remember him moving my arm all around finding out where it hurt so I trust that. I was just pointing out how loose my joints are to begin with. I seem to have somewhat figured out what hurts it and what doesn't hurt it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.