GUN Bench rest suggestion, WTF Mosin cleaning, etc

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Buzz Killington, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Finally got out to run 100 down the pipe of the 91/30 and about 80 on the M44 I just got from Classic Arms ($90 something shipped, all #'s matching, '43 Izzy, plus 20 rounds).

I learned how NOT to shoulder a rifle with 13 or 14 pounds of kick :o Second time out was much less painful. The M44 was the range favorite, the concussion every time it went off along with the accompanying fireball stole the show :o

Anyway, I have some non-steel core shit coming so I can go to the NRA range (50 yards :hs: , it beats 25 yards at the other range :ugh: ).

What bench rest do you guys recommend? I don't need some insane expensive shit, just a decent setup for a weekend shooter. Hell, maybe a front and rear bag will suffice, I just don't know :dunno:

Also, for anyone who shoots milsurp (corrosive) ammo, how long does it take you to clean afterwards? I spent about 30 minutes yesterday working on the M44 with Sweets and Hoppes and finally gave up.

Now I'm looking for a Mossberg .22 trainer, first because the first gun I ever shot was an old Army trainer, and second because ammo is so much cheaper :o

2. striker754

striker754 Chillin

pull bolt out, run the hose on the bolt face and through the barrel, swap the barrel with some hoppes, oil it and put it back together

3. Buzz Killington

I did that, I still ended up with a pile of dirty patches about 3 inches high :o

4. striker754

striker754 Chillin

its a fucking 60 dollar rifle, i use one soaked in hoppes, then a clean one and call it good. hell i do the same on my mg42

5. Buzz Killington

$60 my ass, the 91/30 was a hand pick :mad: :rofl: :mamoru: