Bench comp in 2 weeks, v. neverdonethisb4needhelps

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TKEBoss, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

There is a pretty popular competition coming up in two weeks. I have never competed in any type of powerlifting meet(even though Im training for it) or any lift events. Big time benchers go to this so I am not looking to place, just to get experience. What to do until then?

Should I take it easy on my DL and squats and just do maintance for them?

I did shirt work last week. Should I do it again this week?

Should I not work out at all the week of the competition?

Anything else you can recommend doing would be awesome helps brosephs.

2. TZ

TZ Banned

shirted or raw competition? i do not have any experience w/bench shirts but i would think if it is a shirted comp, you should train shirted for it, and make sure you can touch with the weight you want. although 2 weeks away seems a little short notice...i have heard that learning how to use shirt correctly can take awhile :o if it's raw, train raw..i dont think u will get much stronger in 2 weeks tho.

if you want to do your absolute best, do not go hard on squats or dl. dling heavy completely fucks me from lifting at my best for a few days

oh and the week of comp, i do not lift. some do, but go light and cut a lot of shit out. you want to be fully prepared, mentally and physically to hit big PRs. good luck btw

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  3. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Its pretty much anything goes...shirts, vest, double or single.

I have used my shirt 3-4 times so far.

4. TZ

TZ Banned

what have you done in a shirt so far? what's your raw bench? how good are you with it - are you confident you can touch? what kind u got btw? j/w

personally i would want to get the biggest bench possible so i would probably go in a shirt if i had one, but only if i was confident I could touch. If you aren't confident you can touch w/it, you could open raw, and then have the 2nd and 3rd attempts shirted. just a thought

5. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

I've used it for board work and single reps. I have done 365 touch n go with the shirt. I do not know what my max is raw, my guess is 320ish. Last week I paused with 355.

I know what weight I need to touch(nothing under 335). I hit and miss the groove of the shirt every other rep so I am not 100% perfect.

The shirt...I dunno what kind it is to be honest. Its made by Titan. My friend lets me use it. Titan made it for him when they sponsored him for Worlds. No markings or tags beside one that says Titan and the shirt size written on it.

6. TZ

TZ Banned

hmm, your call then. You can try using the shirt for the next two weeks. Depending on your training results with it, you can make a decision whether to use it or not, or do what I suggested and open raw with like 305, then go onto shirted. you can also do some raw work and shoulder work at this time too imo, so that your raw won't suffer at all and could possibly go up a little bit

i just remembered you said it's two weeks away right? then you really only have one week to train unfortunately since you will be taking the last week easy and light

7. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Well last week I trained fairly well. Monday was shirted work with boards and then single reps without boards. Tuesday did some regular reps and then two eccentric reps with 450. Friday I did a few sets with moderate weight.

8. TZ

TZ Banned

yeah, see how it goes this week. also, hopefully some of the other guys who have experience with shirted benching will be able to give you a lot better advice than me. try PMing fatdude, gtlifter, bigdamray, mainesucks, cpop, jeg1983, or rick ro$$ and see what they think if they do not see this topic

9. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Thanks for your help bromain!

10. TZ

TZ Banned

anytime myman :)

11. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

PM Cpop pronto.

12. React

React Still Strong

13. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

what do you mean shirt lifting?

14. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

slang for doing laundry

15. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Use a bench shirt. Helps with the lift totals.

16. CPop

CPop New Member

It's really too late to get ready to use the shirt. If the lightest weight you can touch is 335, then open about there. Do everything the way you've been doing it for that lift. Second attempt, go 360-365 and pull the collar slightly down. I mean, like 1/2" or so lower than you've been doing; don't get carried away with support. Third attempt go for broke depending on how attempt #2 goes.

Remember to tuck the elbows when lowering, and press it up and back. Arch as hard as you can, push your belly up, and try to bring your chest to the bar.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

17. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

So you put a shirt on your chestacles and let the bench touch that and lift off from that---right?

18. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

engrish?

19. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

Leave F&N

20. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

I typically do not arch my back. Im kind of a flat back elbows out bencher. Should I start changing my style? I just feel as if I get more power the way I do it now. Its not that I cant arch and pull my elbows in, it just feels unstable. :hsd:

21. camber

camber Active Member

excuse me for my lack of knowledge, but what is the benefit or advantage to using a shit ?

22. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Increases max. Depending on shirt style, experience, and form it can boost your max 30-150lbs....

23. TZ

TZ Banned

Bench shirts were originally brought to the market as a protective device, much like a lifting belt. The original shirts were a tight polyester material that helped protect the shoulders and pectorals during heavy benching, such as during a competition. Somewhere in the 1980's, lifters discovered that these bench shirts also could be used to provide an increase in the weight a lifter could move.

While the use of bench shirts has been hotly debated on the Internet, it is a fact that the majority of lifters use them. In particular, the vast majority of elite and famous lifters use some form of bench shirt. Today's shirts are highly evolved, purpose built garments designed with the intent of lifting more weight. While some powerlifters take offense to this, and feel that the purity of Powerlifting is negatively effected by bench shirts, it is very clear that the shirts are here to stay and have been solidly ingrained in the sport. In the beginning, there was only one type of bench shirt available. Now, several companies sell varying levels of shirts, in various materials, ranging in price from less than $40 to well over $200. While I have not worn every shirt on the market, I have worn several of each type, and I can comment from personal knowledge on the characteristics of each type. I have worn at least 10 different bench shirts in the last 5 years. For the sake of generalization, there are basically two main categories of bench shirts, polyester and denim.

24. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Jokingly my friend said he wants me to use his denim vest....My single ply titan is a PITA. I could only imagine what that denim would do to me.

25. TZ

TZ Banned

lol :o i have only ever lifted raw and dont really plan on getting in gear (maybe single ply sometime in the far away future). i'm too broke for that shit and it sounds like a pain in my dickhole. i take forever to lift as it is now.. besides, i dont think there is anything cooler than being strong as fuck raw :bowdown:

man, i lifted with this powerlifting club a few times and one guy would take forever getting in and out of his canvas suit. he needed 2-3 people to help him :rofl: shit looked painful as fuck too ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.