MMA Belts v.feelingshurt

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Ricey McRicerton, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Welp, it finally happend. I finally got my feelings hurt at BJJ. I'm a 2 stripe white, and another guy I roll with pretty regularly is a 2 stripe white. He hits the gym with me on Sundays, and I've been trying to help him along with getting stronger and in better shape.

He's been doing bjj about 3 or 4 months less than I have, and in all fairness to him, puts in way more time than I do with it. I go 2-3 times a week and he is there 5-6. A few days ago he got his 3rd stripe, and I got nothing. I have never in the past felt really jealous or upset or anything about anybody getting belt promotions/stripes, but this one really hit home for whatever reason.

:hs:

Just venting. I know most of you probably won't care and will tell me to check my ego at the door. It's just rough to see a guy who has been doing it less time than you surpass you so quickly. :hs:

2. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

at least u have 2 stripes :o

we dont even get stripes!

just white to blue to purple etc

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Stripes don't mean much to me personally. I attended a seminar and the instructor gave everyone a stripe on their belt after. I had only been doing BJJ for a few weeks, so I just took it off after he left. :o

Since I've been back training hard I haven't worn my gi enough to be offered any stripes. I prefer to just learn and roll, and maybe in the future my coach will wrap a blue around my waist.

4. Ricey McRicerton

Ouch. I've been doing this like 18 months, and the progress is really slow. He and I were the only two guys that started anywhere near the same time, and everybody else is a mid blue at this point or has been there less than 6 months, so it's kind of turned into a competition between us for some odd reason. He's about 25 lbs heavier than I am and quite a bit better than me at this point. I do fairly well agianst the blues, but on top of him being a better grappler than I am, something about his style doesn't match up well for me either.

I also lift heavy 3 days a week, which seems to really tax my body along with the bjj.

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Mathmaticly he has probably been doing it longer than you though.

We have one guy in MT that in less than 2 years has already fought in plenty of pro fights and has even been flown to Japan to fight infront of an enourmous crowd.
    less than 2 years. But not one person is jealous or disregards him because he worked his fuckign ass off and mopre or less has lived in tghe gym for the past two years. Dude even cleaned the mats before he started instructing recently.

stop feeling sorry for yourself, put in more time if it is something you really want, and if it isnt then just be happy for the guy.

6. Ricey McRicerton

I am happy for the guy, he eats, breathes, and lives this shit. He's won every tournament he's participated in since he started competing about 12 months ago. He's good at this. I'm not hating on the guy. This is just the first time in this long that i've 'gotten my feelings hurt' over this kind of thing. It's kind of eye opening. :hs:

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

sounds liek you are just down on yourself for not workign as hard. I get the same way. Seeing how good some people get and I get bummed cause I havent progressed and been able to put in the same time and couldnt afford to do one on one lessons.

sucks, but thats the sport. good luck getting your stripe, i'm sure you'll have it soon.

8. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

Good thing you didn't start at the same time as me. I got my blue belt in 6 months.

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

your shoulders must be sore as hell.

10. VulgarTheClown

from what? pattin myself on the back? naw, i'm flexable.

11. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm curious what you guys think to be blue belt level.

Alot of guys at my school have won local white belt tournaments and still haven't gotten promoted a year later... I guess we are just very slow to give out promotions? It used to be my instructor never gave promotions. Not even stripes. He just gave away his first blue belt that wasn't awarded by his instructor, so maybe he'll be promoting more often now. It's just not something that has really ever happened at our place. :dunno:

I've probably been grappling for close to 3 years now, with 2 breaks for about 6 months each but total training atleast 2 years. I've been going pretty hard lately and training alot and I still don't see myself being blue belt level or even better, atleast if I compare myself to our top level white belts or even new blue belts. I do more nogi though and rarely roll with the gi. Atleast lately.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  12. VulgarTheClown

me + spelling = not friends.

13. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Oh I've progressed in my skill and technique leaps and bounds, I think. I really don't care about belt level that much, I don't wear it in the ring.

And Placebo's is too far of a drive to go regularly. :hs:

14. Ricey McRicerton

Ours is similar. We train under 2 brown belts, and for any of us to get to a blue belt level, we have to have Gustavo either come down, or go visit his school in Virginia beach. We don't see promotions very often, but if we did, I guess they wouldn't be as meaningful. :hs:

The guy that I roll with has won all of the tourneys that he's been in, and travels quite a bit for work. He's commented on how some of the blue belts at other schools don't seem to be even a high white caliber from ours, which may be him just talking, but he's done very very well for himself so far.

15. Bausk

Bausk New Member

?

16. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Just curious what people thought the divider between white and blue: a test? beating other blues? a certain skill set? time put in?

Yours was a good answer I guess.

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

so im not the only heeb that can't spell here? :big grin:

18. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

He doesn't have to be a good speller as long as he can kick your ass :mamoru:

19. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i felt the same way when i was a white belt but youll learn that stripes dont really matter very much. just keep working on improving your skills, and have fun. thats it.

20. chechen

i dont consider people to fall into certain belts unless theyre at least somewhat proficient with the gi too. but thats a whole other topic. if you got more comfy with the gi you'd easily be a blue belt in my eyes. 3 years is a very good chunk of training unless youre one of those guys who refuses to learn things and just trains to spar and hurt people all the time.

21. chechen

i've never felt that i deserved a new belt when i just got it :dunno:

a year later im just beginning to feel like i deserve my purple belt...

22. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I think an instructor who wants to have a really successful academy SHOULD try and keep track of each individual student's progression carefully, but when there are a ton of students and little branches of their schools I can understand that it is hard to do. My instructor is a purple belt, and obviously he can not promote anybody. So, the promotions occur when we either go to a tournament hosted by the black belt (prof. Maguilla), or during seminars. Now how exactly is he to know that one blue belt has been training 4/5 days a week and another barely trains 2 times a month? Only if he has been watching the training day to day he would be able to do so, but otherwise judging from just a small tournament or seminar... it is pretty hard to do.

I accept the fact that there will be unjust promotions, but at each belt level there is such a huge skill level it is not even funny.

There are blue belts who suck ass, and really should be white belts. And I am sure it is the same at every belt level. In fact the whole thing really is ambiguous. People who are terrible purple belts are often given praise by those who don't know any better because they think that all purple belts are as good as the top competition ones they see.

In my opinion, I think that if you are to be promoted, it should happen after it is "long overdue" as they like to say. If you are unsure yourself if you qualify for the next belt, then most likely you don't.

23. Bausk

Bausk New Member

This turned into a pretty good thread. :)

Thanks for the advice, I do think I could be a blue belt level. I don't mind waiting longer, because I do think I need more gi training and I do want to compete before I even think of advancing. It wouldn't feel right to ever advance without competing at the previous level. There aren't too many tourneys in this area I'll have to research any coming up.

Especially lately I feel like my game is expanding and growing. I'm really focusing on things like Drag On said, position over submission. But I've always tried to do that (just doesn't mean I always did though). Things are feeling good on the ground lately which is just awesome because I was pretty much only a standup fighter before who "knew a couple things on the ground".

24. Ricey McRicerton

Thanks man. I'm not training to be the next UFC badass, and don't even train to compete in any tourneys except for the ones my school hosts. Just keep on keeping on and eventually I'll keep progressing.

25. chechen

I've also heard just the opposite.. that youre not supposed to feel like you deserve it quite when you get it. :dunno:

the whole thing is pretty ambiguous