Belittle my car audio choices. :)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaIceMan, Mar 8, 2005.

1. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

2005 Scion xB.

Alpine CDA-9833
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KHnP1KuAq8Y/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=62700&I=500CDA9833

2 sets, Polk Audio db6500 Components
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KHnP1KuAq8Y/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=76400&I=107DB6500

2, Polk Audio db104DVC 10" Subs
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KHnP1KuAq8Y/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=67600&I=107DB104DV

Sony XM-SD46X (for components)
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KHnP1KuAq8Y/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=158XMSD46X

Sony XM-SD22x (for subs)
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KHnP1KuAq8Y/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=110&I=158XMSD22X

$1350 shipped. Budget for equipment, installation (doing it myself), and alarm is $2000. Local shop priced the alarm at around $325 with remote start.

I'll be using an Aux input for my XM radio... or maybe just buy a direct tuner for it so I can use onboard features (depending on what accessories cost to install everything and build box).

Subs require .66 cu ft each for a sealed enclosure, which I should be able to build in the hatch of the xB where the spare tire, jack and storage compartment are now. I'll have 18s.. the spare is basically worthless anyway. For trips, I'll through my spare 18 and jack bag in.

subs and amps will be stealth mounted in a sub floor, allowing for nearly all of the factory hatch space to still be useful.

I know most people will rag on the Sony amps, but I've used Sony products for a long time, and have good luck with them. If you have specific information on these models, I would love to hear it... good or bad.

2. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

the hu is a good choice according to many folks

3. cbrakilr

cbrakilr New Member

bah, sony in car audio is garbage, please choose another amp, they used to make great amps in the early 90's, now they are worse than some of that cheap shit at the flea markets. trust me i sell that shitty equipment all day, and see it "not up to par with their expectations" even after I tried to explain to them how sony does not make good mobile equipment.

Btw, seems that ur choosing the deck based on BLING, not to rag or anything, its a great deck, but without some super nice components in front, ur not going to see much of a difference, anyhow, good choice.

components are pretty good

subs can be better, u can go with some really good mtx MXS woofers at CC right now for like 99$ each, they normally retailed about 220$ each. trust me , they are THE strongest woofer in CC as of this this month, until they get kickcer this summer.

im goign to reccomend either RF, Mtx, kicker, or alpine amps to power those mtx monsters.

4. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

how about this setup....

alpine 9833 same HU $349
    diamond audio M6 comps $229
    Orion 4002 comp amp 150x2 $229
    Hifonics Brutus 1000D amp $229
    Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 12" sub $195

cheaper than your setup, louder, and all parts have full warranty.

onlinecarstereo, infinitecaraudio and visionaryaudio (for sub)

5. 04

04 Guest

How are those specific Sony amps he listed able to meet CEA-2006 compliant specifications if they are not up to par?

I don't know of any flea market brands that use CEA-2006 specifications.

Do you sell the two Sony amplifiers he listed, or are they different models?

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Sony is crap and those prices are garbage, worst value ever.

7. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

you can get the 9833 for 279.99 from crutchfield

8. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

ok that saves more money then!

9. DaIceMan

price was $299.99 last night when I was looking... but still cheaper than listed, and I think they send the kit/harness with it from crutchfield.

As for the other parts pharcyde listed, I've never heard of "Incriminator Audio". Are they a new company or something?

10. DaIceMan

Also, I plan to add some video to the system later, so that's why I was looking at a 4 channel amp for the components, for better separation and surround effect.

I wouldn't acheive that effect with a 2 channel (components in parallel, I guess?), would I?

Sorry... I keep thinking of other questions, as I've been out of the car audio field for so long. I've always been under the impression that 2 10s would move more air than a single 12. Would I be better with 2 10s (regardless of brand) than 1 12 (same brand considered)?

11. 04

04 Guest

Well you'd need a prologic decoder if you want surround effect. Another problem with running both sets of speakers off a single amplifier channel is that you'd have to fabricate a passive volume control to change the volume levels between the two.

2 10" woofers would move more air than a single 12", all other parameters equal, but 2 10" woofers would usually be almost twice as expensive as well.

12. DaIceMan

would an xbox have the decoder in it? I know it works on my surround sound at home (before my front speakers quit working).

Crutchfield has the Polk Speakers on sale... that was one of the main reason I was interested in them. $150 for the pair of 10s.