SRS Being Single v. S.A.D.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PanzerAce, Jan 30, 2007.

1. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

So, looks like I'm single again this year on Valentines Day. I dont know why, but this year is worse then the previous years. I guess its because most of my friends have GFs, while Im still alone. And then there is the fact that it seems every 5 minutes when I am at school some random person that I have never seen before starts informing me that the Valentines Day dance is coming up, and that I should sign up for it. Why the hell is it that nobody seems to understand that being single sucks all on its own on Valentines Day, and that constantly mentioning it and seeing signs for it isnt helping.

I think whenever somebody starts talking about it, Im just going to correct them by letting them know that it is Singles Awareness Day, rather than valentines day. If that doesnt get the message across that I dont want to hear about it, Ill call it Fire-Bombing of Dresden Day.

Any advice OT?

2. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

Oddly enough I enjoy Valentine's day. I usually find one of my lady friends to be polite to. But I have had most of my bad experiences of valentine's day while I was dating someone. Don't let the commercial side of Vday make you feel like shit.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

its not the commercial side, its the 'I'm not single so niether is everybody else' mentality. Nobody seems to get that not every person on campus has a bf/gf, and while normally it would just be another day, the constant reminder that I am single is starting to get to me.

And while I plan on ditching school and work (only 1 class and 3 hours of work) the day of, and going to the shooting range with my friends, thats only a small comfort since most of them are couples.

4. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

True I guess if you are fed from every angle where your at with people who are not single. It could get under your skin. Best thing is to keep your head up and just enjoy the day single or not. If anything if anyone pisses you off slap a :eek3: sticker on there face.

5. Rob1111

Rob1111 New Member

I am in the same boat, and just have to say yes it does suck being single on Valentines day. Wish one of them could be different one of these years.

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:dunno: It didnt bother my all through highschool and freshman year of college, but I think that was because my friends were all single. On the other hand this year my housemate has a GF, and while they are both great friends, anytime I do something with them it reminds me that I am single.

What makes it worse is when she invites me over when she is cooking dinner, since I feel like an extra wheel.

7. fluentinsilence

fluentinsilence New Member

As long as they don't treat you like one. You're young, you don't need the stress of a relationship you might possibly question all the time. You always focus on the downside of being single rather than what you could otherwise be doing with your time/energy.

8. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Find any single friends you have and go on a "Valentines Day is for Alcoholics" bar tour - those are my plans!

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

fluent: They dont treat me like one, but I still feel like one. And do tell, what could I be doing since I am single considering that I dont have a car?

shoe: 404 age 21 not found.

10. fluentinsilence

fluentinsilence New Member

I don't know you or your position, so obviously I can't say. When I talked about doing something with your time/energy (other than concentrating on the aspect of single-life), I didn't mean specifically toward relationship-based things, but anything else that you may enjoy doing or would want to do. Granted, not having a car could complicate things, but it's only a minor obstacle. As ridiculous as it may sound, look up some single groups (either through craigslist or any other organization in your area); you'll find others in your position who may share your feelings or those that have still been able to enjoy themselves or make themselves happy (i.e. "make" not meaning "forced" but rather getting enjoyment out of an activity, such as the gun range as you mentioned).

I think that the fact you do not have your own personal car, you have to rely on others for transportation and therefore it reinforces the feeling of isolation. I think more focus should be applied toward enjoying yourself with the company that pleases you and not so much on why you stand alone. Besides, do you think that any of these people who have these relationships are not aching themselves to just get away from it, at least for a while? Everyone has got to have their own personal time from their partner.

Furthermore, this pseudo-holiday is really detrimental because it makes an unwelcome showing to people such as yourself who is single and for those currently in some kind of relationship, there's always some kind of pressure. I won't elaborate any further on this aspect really since it's going away from the focus of you.

Point is though, don't focus so much on the situation of others because it will inheritly place a negative light on yours. If you want to, try and note on the pros/cons of the aspect of your situation and try to rectify whatever it is you find that is making you unhappy; keep in mind this is all within your control. As for simple obvious advice, socialize with others often (even if you don't know them and simple greetings rather than an attempt for anything more serious), do things you like to do or would like to do but haven't yet, and so forth; things more or less have a way of surprising you and can work to your favor.

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Thanks for the advice. I just want the lead up to this holiday to end so that I can get back to my normal, happy, life.

12. bimmer318

bimmer318 I'm out of applesauce

sooo..........are you 15?

13. 98fiveseven

98fiveseven New Member

It is just another day bud, ignore the people who are making a rukus out of it!
    I myself will chill out at home prolly playing some guitar hero!!

14. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

great reading comprehension :ugh2:, I'm 19.

15. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

consider yourself lucky, that you dont have to spend money on anyone for valentines day. :)

16. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

you missed his point entirely...you're kinda acting like a melodramatic junior high kid.

Wanting the lead up to this holiday to end so you can get back to your normal life?

Does Valentine's Day affect your life that much?

17. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

when most of my friends are NOT single, yes it does (see post about not having a car, etc).

Jesus, from the responces you would think nobody here ever had friends that were different from them, or even went to college :ugh:

18. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

so...you've been single on days before Valentine's Day, right?

What is it about the day that makes it so different.

What I'm trying to say is...it's just another day. If you think it sucks to be single on V-Day, odds are you think it sucks to be single most other days.

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

yes, I have been single on other V-Days, but it is affecting me more than usual this year. As for thinking it sucks being single most other days, I sometimes wish that I wasnt, but it never really sticks in my mind like it is right now.

20. alexs001

alexs001 Mawk! Mawk!

This time of the year is really hard for me. New Years, followed by my birthday and then vday...all days where there is an expectation that you have someone to be with. Makes me want to die every year.

21. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

I've always been single :wavey: :hs:

22. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede New Member

Why don't you try being more proactive about it. If you hate it so much, then go talk to some girl you've had your eye on. You could be out looking for a date instead of being on here complaining about it.

And don't complain about being afraid of rejection, because no matter what it's going to happen sometime in your life. You just need to get the self-confidence to try and make a change in your life.

23. ruckutopa9

ruckutopa9 New Member

I totally agree with you guys, I personally though have some girls (friends) I'm gonna try to ask to be my VD (cause i wanna go eat heh) but if it fails I'm doin' those suggestions or I'm just gonna sleep heh :cool:

Anywayz, don't sweat it guy, VD is just another day, its only been hyped up by the corporations heh, i sound like a hippie heh :)