SRS Being Short has made my life hell :wtc:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by skitcy, Dec 30, 2005.

1. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

This is a decent rant..

My life sucks at times cause I'm a "short" guy.. I'm 19 and 5 foot 5.5 inches. Sure say it's not THAT short but it really is..

Pre-college my life sucked, nobody associated with me cause I was the midget of the class the one little kid that couldn't do anything in sports or whatever. People shunned me, girls looked away regardless of how nice / charming of a guy I've been told I am from church camps and retreats.

Now in college girls look down at me cause I'm not tearing over their heads. I'm not bad looking well I don't think so and I don't think some girls do either. I have a great deal of respect about how I look, I keep a decent amount of hair on my head and have it highlighted ( it looks great cause it's blonde ) but no matter what I seem to do to help with how I look or how charming and nice or how much I can make a girl laugh they never want anything more because I'm always just their little friend.

It's seriously starting to affect my social life and self esteem :wtc:

2. teo

teo . => ? => !

If Tom Cruise can do it; so can you. \thread

Seriously, though - do you want to be friends with people who respect you less because of your stature?

3. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

no I don't but how the fuck do I go about explaining to people I had no friends in my highschool life or why I have no pictures of my highschool years or my college years because nobody respected me?

4. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

I had friends and respect and I'm 18, 5'5. Don't blame it on the height. If people fucked with you, it's because they knew they COULD.

I've never dated a girl shorter or younger than me. When people make short jokes, I laugh and make a joke about one of their traits. Usually it's funny and nobody loses. I keep in good shape, eat healthy and feel good about myself overall.

I guess I just don't see where you're coming from, and I've got the same problem you do.

5. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I'm 5"4 and right now, I can tell you its not from height. Its something about you that you have to fix. I will be honest and say I don't have very good luck with girls but its not because I'm short, I know its because of my personality that needs to be fixed on, not my height. I have a lot of friends who are around my size (I'm azn hence the short "friends" and I'm in wrestling & theres are a lot of short ppl at 145lbs and under) and they get hot girls all the time. I walk around on campus where 6"0 is the average and I really don't think about height as a problem. I think I got a lot of my confidence in that from wrestling, wrestling did give me a huge boost in confidence. Maybe you should join a sport (if wrestling is possible, you should definetely join that, whats more fun than beating up people that are your own size? :bigthumb:) or just start working out.

If not, try asian girls lol, they're short.

6. lilcheen

lilcheen New Member

Plenty to think about from all the replies, but i wil add.

You gotta be the stronger man( i know its hard to hear it time after time) and forget about highschool. You didnt make friends there? brush it off, no big deal, you got your whole life in front of you to make up for that.

Girl are not looking "down" at you persay. Your shorter, okay, so maybe the girls you are talking about just aren't into it. If those girls are looking at you and see a short little friend and only a friend b/c of your height, then all they deserve at most is to be your friend. The girl your going to want is the girl that sees the "tall" in you. Your inteligence, your courage, your heart, and your self confidence. It sounds cheesy, and your gonna think i pulled it out of a motivational help book, but I think thats all you need. If it comes down to anything, try to talk and date people that are possibly feeling the same way and having the same problems ( you know what i am saying here.

If girls (not every single one, but. if girls laugh in your presence and find you charming, you're only going to come across MINOR complications.

Keep your head up, and walk like your 6 feet tall. Thats all that matters, and if you do it long enough, people will believe your 6 foot one.

7. Budha

Budha Guest

bro, there are so many girls shorter than you out there. so what if a girl is like 2 inches or so taller than you, get some elevator shoes. I'm 5'8 and I think i'm wayyyy too short. But most of the time the girls are wearing heals. You need to get a girl off of your personality, not your height. Specially cause your in college, just like make friends with girls, be there friend, and then meet their other friends, and thats how it works. I was this really cool costume for halloween this year, met these 2 girls. I fucking know the entire floor of their dorm now. Thats like 20 possible girls to get with. And then they have other friends all over the place. Its all about networking, and making yourself stand out. Your short, so automatically everyone and all the girls will konw you as the "short guy thats so sweet." there are so many fucking girls otu there that just want a guy that likes them its redonkulous. Oh well.

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Why do you think this has ANYTHING at all due to your height?

Oddly enough as this sounds, this is actually good advice.
    Confidence is what truly matters ;)
    Besides, 5'5 really isn't all that short.

9. Phrogg

Phrogg Guest

I was around 5'0 at the end of sophmore year of high school.

i grew all the way leading into the end of my sophmore year of college.

I am around 5'9" now, I wish i had a few more inches though.

10. RUchaps

RUchaps Active Member

Everyone has to work through something. Very few of us are handed a perfect set of cards to play with, but you still have to find a way to win. I didnt like my voice. I fet it wasnt strong enough, and high pitched. i hated it but and i used to let it get me down, but it doesnt any longer. Just dont focus on it and your self-respect and confidance will come through and shadow out your height disadvantage. I've seen some ugly mofo's getting pretty hot girls b/c everyone else, in the end, will see you however you see yourself.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  11. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

Eek, small man complex!

Listen, I'm 5'9 and I asked a 6' basketball player (GIRL!) out because I thought it was funny.

She went out with me and wore big heels, so she was probably an additional 2 inches taller than me. How do you think this all ended up?

Well, she never called me back so I figure I blew it somewhere down the line...but HEY! it's all in the asking, so go out there and score yourself a hot broad!

12. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Im 6.3 so there's no way i can relate, girls told me that dating a 'short' guy feels weird, most of them want a 'tall' guy because they consider 'themselves' to be short. I see some short people wearing 'high' shoes, maby you want to consider wearing a shoe that has a bigger sole in it. Grow hormones are dangerous so i wouldn't consider those to begin with.

But what's important most is that is 'destroying' your self image. I had a short collegue , and he had 'short' sportsmen that where succesfull as an idol and also 'motivator' , maby you can find a short succesfull person who you can idolize in a simular way. But the most important thing for you is to 'learn' to love yourself.

I know that people's judgements can be very hard and emotionally devestating, you have to realise however that you are more beautifull then you could imagine.

Can you ever say to yourself 'im satisfied with who i am' in all honesty? Because when that moment arrives, you don't give a dang what other people say. No one has the right to judge or justify what you do. And you don't want to be with a person who doesn't love you for who you are to begin with.

Stop torturing yourself , being tall isn't a garentee for a gf either, and you wouldn't believe until you see it, for i spend a fortune on big size shoes :wtc: , i knock my head against the ceiling of any given Japanese car that i step in. *_*

13. lilcheen

lilcheen New Member

just goes to show, everything has it ups and downs. Never even thought about it in that sense.

Man, you are going to be fine. So you managed to get attention of the superfical/not attraction to shorter guys, girls. There are plenty of girls out there, especially your height. I say this in all niceness. What goes around comes around. Your gonna or have, rejected girls for some reason or another, and it'll happen to you. It happens to all of us. Let it get you down if it does, get up, brush your shoulders off, and just try agian.

Confidence is the key.

14. Original

Original OT Supporter

I'm almost exactly in your position.. but flashback 3 years. 16, 5'5" and for now my dating status is basically zero.

As for the real world, my short stature hasn't really affected my job/school situation, but social BIG TIME. Hell, at work one guy actually said "They hire 12 year olds here?" How could that NOT kill your self esteem?

I'll say this just to point it out.. but many and i mean MANY girls have told me that I have a great personality and I'm "very very cute" (oh that word kills me).. but that's before they meet me :nono: I've also had girls tell me I have a great body/personality and the such.. but say they could never see themselves dating a short guy. Sure, it's selfish and superficial.. but the majority of people in this world are superficial am I wrong?

Sure I have plenty of friends don't get me wrong, but girls in general, rarely respond to a short guy. It's just different, since being short doesn't exactly provide the older/more protective traits that men are known to have.

I still go on, day by day.. keeping a great head on my shoulders and I seem to project a great amount of confidence. I just don't think I'll ever find my way with girls for a very long time until "it doesn't matter how tall he is anymore, I just want a successful, handsome man to live my life with." I really can't wait that long, but I don't let it bother me. Oh well, life goes on, and us short guys might as well live it up :hs:

It's also killed my sports scene :dunno: Sure I could wrestle, but that's not my thing. I liked basketball, until being a foot shorter than most of the guys didn't cut it. I'm no Mugsy Bogues that's for sure.

I'm just ranting though :o I know everyone says it's the confidence and inside appearance that really counts.

/End Rant

I feel better now, I didn't mean to say that much, it's really less than it looks :wavey:

I bolded my main points just so you don't have to read through all my bullshit :coold:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  15. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

Look up Charles Roberts and Ezra Landry! PLEASE!

16. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Not your thing, just admit that your homophobic. Sure wrestling may seem "gay", believe me, I've heard my share of "gay" jokes cause I'm in wrestling. But those people never know how much work and dedication us wrestlers put in our sport.

And never say being short has killed your "sports scene" when theres so many other sports out there that are for everyone. Ever thought of boxing? Or swimming, soccer, etc.

17. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

extreme sports are a whole different ball park (ha) from competitive sports, which is what I think he meant. But there are competitive sports that height is irrelevant for. Bowling is considered a sport, yes? Golf as well. You could get into polo, but that would be strange if you're American.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I don't really like being a tall brutus looking motherfucker, but I get over it because I have some small amount of self-esteem. You don't. You need to get some. You might wanna think about speaking with someone about your lack of self esteem. A counselor can help you out with that.

19. Original

Original OT Supporter

Damn I forgot those. I know it hasn't neccessarily killed my sports scene, but maybe chopped it in half :o

I would LOVE to box, i just don't know anyone at all that does it :dunno:

And yes, I bowl too. I regret the subjective stuff I wrote in my post like Sports. I meant most of the other stuff though :hs:
    Funny how I'm remembering these things now :o

20. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

it's not so much that I lack it.. I love my life, just about everything that happens, like how I look sure there's some things I'd fix if I could but I get along fine. and I really don't HATE being short.. I just hate how society deems it is all.

And even girls shorter than me still try to look for the way tall guy.

oh well :) I posted this on a bad day.. some days are bad .. but alot more are good ;)

21. transistor

transistor Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. I'm 5'5".

Yesterday I was browsing myspace and was reading those surveys where people list their height and the height of their ideal boyfriend. I was blown away by the amount of girls under 5'4" that require their boyfriends to be over 6'. I mean if 5' girl won't even date you, who will? It's a real confidence killer. It makes me afraid to approach a short girl, because chances are she doesn't like short guys.

I also came across this gem of a blog entry:

I have noticed, however, that the girls that want a 6' guy are usually uneducated trash.

And I can't stand it when people classify anything that short guys do as being a sign of napoleon or little man's syndrome. I guess just because we're short we're not allowed to drive sports cars, get in fights, or be successful.

/rant

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  22. ay thunderrcat

ay thunderrcat You can have all the hoes, I'm gon keep the women.

yeah my friend is like 5'5 also, but he gets pussy... its probably something to do with your personality.

23. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

Just something you have to get over. I am 6'6" and people look up at me like I am some kind of freakish monster. I just deal with it.

As an aside, I'd rather be about 6 inches shorter. As it is, I am too tall for almost every vehicle manufactured, I hit my head or nearly hit my head on my building doorways, and it is a pain in the ass to work on cars (which is, unfortunately, something I love to do).

Just something you deal with.

24. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

[​IMG]

Yuri van Gelder, short as hell but WORLD CHAMPION rings :dunno: so don't let it get to you, im not saying become a world champion, but i am saying that short people can achieve amazing things. Everyone loves this guy, he's strong,nice and the girls love him :dunno:.

25. I'm 5'7 and have never considered myself to be short. I guess I just have a positive image of myself.

It's all about how you perceive yourself. Everyone has things that they'd like to improve. Obsessing over your height just seems rediculous to me. When there are tall people around I always think of them as being way too tall.