SRS Being "shat upon" in the workplace.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DaDornta, Aug 23, 2007.

1. DaDornta

DaDornta New Member

I am a government employee--not federal but state. I am also "union" (whatever that means/does for me...)

I have been working my job as a UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) Recorder (archiving and doing data-entry) on forms/documents filled for public record.

I have been doing this now for only 7 months.

In that short time, I have not only learned my job--but all of the various duties that need to be done daily. The office in which I work is a 3-person operation. Two "recorders" and one manager.

My manager recently got promoted and left, leaving just us two recorders. Additionally, my co-worker left for 3 weeks on vacation--leaving me to handle the work of 3 people for 3 weeks.

Not only was I able to do everything the manager did, I was also able to keep the entire documentation-unit running -- by myself. After 7 months of experience.

So--after all of this, it turns out that a woman 10 years older than me (im 24) with ONE MONTH experience on the job (she isn't even off her probationary period and is still being trained) was hired as my supervisor. She's still being trained in another area where I work for gods sake!

She didn't meet the "minimum requirements" for the job either (same as myself--hence why I didn't apply)....but somehow she was told to apply anyway.

I'm getting the fuck out of here...and when the entire state office collapases because no one competent and as hard-working as myself is left---their will be legal rammifications (if people's documents can't get recorded)

I'm thinking about calling my union, talking to my higher-ups...but it seems pointless.

The ammount of two-faced-ness and backstabbing is appauling. At times I feel as not only the youngest--but most mature in the entire office.

I have learned that the old axiom that "state employees are under-qualified and over paid" is wrong. . . They are "under-qualified and under paid". These people would NEVER hack it in the private sector. They "hide" behind the union and state HR policies.

It sickens me.

When I work 40 hours a week in an office at a desk, as hard as I do, and STILL qualify for food stamps--somthing is wrong.

Rant over.

2. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I deal with shit like this all the time. The 3 full timers who do what I do, do a fairly good job. However, they constantly make mistakes, all 3 have less experience, and none have degrees in the field...I do. Crying about it does nothing, and won't get that person's promotion yanked.

Next time a promotion comes up, talk to the supervisor and HR about it before you apply. Ask the what to do of course if they can recommend anything, then ask how the hiring criteria is weighted in writing. Then you'll have a case.

3. DaDornta

DaDornta New Member

Ive already made up my mind that I will not listen or respect this new supervisor's authority. I will do my job to the best of my ability (better than anyone else there currently) and keep my mouth shut.

In the meantime, I will be looking for other jobs.

It's funny--I sent emails to both my former supervisor who got promoted and her supervisor asking for letters of reference because I quote, "am applying for several positions very soon".

Today I hear they are thinking about promoting me to a number grade higher early--probably to placate me and keep me there. They (the two higher ups) took me out to lunch also yesterday.

I'm sorry, but a 60$ increase per-paycheck and a 7$ hamburger at a dive int he ghetto doesn't make up for feeling disrespected and taken advantage of.
    I should have listened to the old adage, "Do a good job, but not TO good, otherwise they'll never promote or let you go."

4. DaDornta

DaDornta New Member

I'd also like to add that working for any form of government is like working in a circus freak show. These people are either insane, disabled, malformed, or psychotic and have landed themselves in the safety net of "government employment" because they could/would never get hired by a private company.
    The old saying about teachers: "Those who can't -- teach" applies to government employees..."Those who can't fit into REAL WORLD CAREERS-- work for the government".

Because honestly, if one were actually mature and good at their job function--they would work private-sector because of the money.

I am a professional person, I work in a cube with a computer, hired by the state and I still have to get food stamps.

WTF?

It sickens me that I've wasted 7 months of my life to learn this lesson.

5. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I'm a federal employee. First of all, realize that most people are here because they coudln't or can't cut it in the private sector. Second, government employment is an entitlement program for ex-military. I'm working the fed side because the money is great...but I've been sitting on my ass the last 3 months.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Just working hard in life is stupid, you got to play it smart, if you leave kk , but because you might stay longer then expected id definitly would complain, i wouldn't hope for anything, but its better then letting other people walk over you and take a promotional job, remember no complaint against the appropriate person means you have no problem with people walking over you. Also if you didn't apply for the job for supervisor then you have no right for saying or in other words. GRAB CHANCES WITH BOTH HANDS. You need to be more like a vulture and be oppertunistic. Of course every promotional job needs content in terms of diploma's etc but if you apply for that, whats stopping you from grabbing your chance? At least be a bit more competitive and compete for a better job. If this entirely isn't your thing i would leave tho, but what i say applies for more jobs.

7. Got Me SOM

Got Me SOM I'd win

The gov't I feel is where people who can't find a job no where else goes to work and its all about money and keeping their job, has nothing to do with brains.

Im an ex FEMA employee and that was one of the WORST organizations I've ever been a part of.

I did make good money there once I got to GS-12 level but honestly it wasn't worth the emotional stress to bring a nice check, not too mention living out of your suitcase and working all the time.