SRS Being judged

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DrK_Mrk_iV, Mar 19, 2008.

1. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Here's the story: I'm currently digging myself out of a hole.

I'm in college with 3 semesters left (b.s. in econ) and have an internship this summer with this kickass firm. Anyway, due to previous circumstances my parents have 0 trust in me. They still treat me like a child almost and upset when I don't come visit. I live about 45 minutes away from them. In fact, most of my family is like that. If all goes according to plan I'll be finished with college and have a great job in 2 years. Right now though, I'm really stressed (about parents, and the typical stuff like bills and credit cards). I'm a regular college student, but when I'm done with college I just want to pack my bags and leave everything behind. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm just tired of stressing about my parents and not happy where I am. Any thoughts? Sorry for rambling in advanced.

2. pixing

pixing New Member

2 years is a long time. And a lot is going to happen to you in that time.

If it helps your stress level to imagine your family far from you and thus unable to bother you then go ahead and do it. It might be more helpful (and I know this is difficult) to tell your parents the days you plan on visiting and hope that they understand that the rest of the time you are working and working on doing well in school. I know that part is hard, but if you keep saying it, eventually they will hear you (or you can ignore their nagging guilt free at that point.)

3. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I was in the same situation recently.

No matter what decision I make in life, my Mom has an opinion about it. All I ever hear from her is "You need to do this..." etc etc. I always hear from other family members "Your Mom thinks..."

Also, I can't voice MY opinion around her. If I say something she disagrees with, or if I don't take her advice on something, she literally gets mad and will say something like "What the fuck ever!"

I grew up walking on eggshells around her, which carried on into the rest of my social interactions. It took some therapy to help me, but I'm not that person anymore.

I don't speak to my Mom anymore, other than when absolutely necessary. I had to choose between having a relationship with my Mom but being talked to like a child constantly, or not have a relationship with her.

I'm not saying you should make the same decision I made. Perhaps in a few years I will miss my Mom and do something different, but as of right now, she is too unpleasant and angry for me to be around.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

1. Kudos on almost graduating (it's the best thing ever) and getting an internship at a great firm.
    2. I can't stress this enough, don't cut contact with your family.

It's unfortunate that they don't support you or believe in you, but you should use that to your advantage and prove them wrong. I don't know what you did in your past to make them not believe in you...but I'll move past that and just say "moving away" from your problems won't solve anything. Obviously you're going to have to stay relatively near to where you are now to work at that firm, right?

In other words, your parents and family might seem like a real pain in the ass right now, but if you being annoyed makes you cut off contact with them you will most likely regret it very much later in life. I happen to be extremely close to my family, no matter what they've done or said in the past that hurt my feelings I push past it, because that's what you have to do in life.

5. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Thanks for the words guys. It doesn't help that both my sister's are extremely close to my mother and they always hound me for not spending enough time with her. I've talked to my mom about this tons of time to just give me space but she doesn't listen because she knows best. She also thinks I should move back home with her for rest of the semester. :ugh:

P.S. I've never been close with my family. I'm the black sheep so to speak. iwishyouwerebeer, the internship is going to take me either to DC, Mass. or Colorado. So I'm leaving either way.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Oh, well sweet. When you move though seriously, talk to your family every once in a while. Even if they are dicks to you sometimes they still love you (obviously since they wish you'd come visit them).