A&P Being a Nikon user is really a challange sometimes

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Girth, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

The product keeps getting better and better by the year. Prices are somewhat consistant or a tad higher with Canons, but good jesus, the availability of products is unreal. Case in point, the 70-200 VR and other sought after lenses. It makes no sense that there's no supply for this lens and there's only rumors about the replacment. Great lens, well worth the money, but come on... this lens goes used for almost as much as they go for new!!!

Then you have others as far price in relation to counterparts in the Canon line-up. 24-70 in nikon is a bitch to find - although not as hard as the 70-200 - and the same with the 14-24. Then if you do find them, they're a few hundred over the Canon counterpart. Its tough to save money for new stuff, because the shit is hard to keep in stock and you either have the money and the product is not available, or vice versa.

I guess from a supply and demand aspect, nikon is doing their part. But from a consumer standpoint, its challanging to say the least!!! I'm a nikon user and I like their products, but when it comes to my money, I guess I have to wait and see what the future brings... but if it saves me money in the long run and its going to be less of a hassle to get products, I wouldn't put it past looking into canon products striclty on a $$$ saving piece.

Canon guys can talk all the trash they want, I just would like to see Nikon step up and have more of an effort to have existing products available at a little more reasonable price. If that makes any sense... :dunno:

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Why not third party? Tokina 11-16, Tamron 70-200 f2.8 etc?

3. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

wait really? i didnt realize it was ever hard to get a lens.

4. Girth

That's a great alternative! But if someone is hell bent on getting a Nikkor, you're either paying a buttload for used or you're waiting for the "in stock" to pop up on a vendors screen.

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I don't think Tamron 70-200 2.8 has VC (their version of VR) in it.

6. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

:hs: yeah, I can dig. I mean, I would love to fill my bag with red rings but I can't afford it. I bought the 70-200 f2.8L IS because it is just phenomenal, but I have a hard time swallowing the money for other Lglass. My Tokina 11-16, Tamron 17-50 are awesome third party alternatives.

7. Girth

I don't mind spending the money when I have it, but I had to search for almost 3-4 months for a 70-200 VR before I bought through Ritz's website. Same issue with my friend last month. When the lens is available, they all get snatched up quickly. And if you want to buy it used, you're still paying roughly the same for it as you would with the Canon IS one. Just hard to see paying that much sometimes for something with uncertainty, you know?

8. W.Shatner

W.Shatner New Member

9. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

<3 fredmiranda.com & potn's used Canon lens selection :)

10. Girth

See, that's way too much for that lens. I paid a whopping $1800 for mine and so did my friend. Both at Ritz and both brand new... IF they're ever in stock. $2500 is outrageous for that price when the same Canon one is $1500-1600 brand new and most always in stock.

11. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Agreed. It sucks.

The hard to find lenses do come in pretty regularly at the big stores like B&H, they just sell out really fast.

Just for kicks I've been tracking the 70-200 availability at B&H for the past 6 months or so. It comes in stock about every 2 weeks and sells out in a day or two. I put my e-mail on the wait list right when it sells out. The wait list is first come first serve.

12. Girth

My friend who just got one bought a Sigma 70-200 a couple of years back because he couldn't find the Nikon. I got mine back in march and he was amazed I even found one, so he started looking again. He couldn't find one, so he gave up again after a month. Last month, he emailed me and asked me to look for him... which I did and found one at Ritz camera online. Not 5 min later after he put his order in, he gets an email saying it was out of order again!!!

This was on a sunday. On monday afternoon he gets a phone call saying the transaction was 'suspisious' and his order had been filled. 2 days later he gets the lens, and he's like a kid that just got a new cool toy. He's been so excited, he "forgot" to put the sigma up for sale until last week. :mamoru:

13. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

How did he like the performance of the Nikkor vs the Sigma, in terms of sharpness and contrast.

14. Girth

He thinks its night and day... and while I wouldn't know on that lens vs the sigma 70-200, I know if its anything like my nikkor 28-70 is comapred to the sigma 24-70, I'd have to agree with him.

15. Dwight Schrute

There's no comparison.

16. Girth

I'll post some 70-200 shots when I get home, but like danidentity said, there's no comparison. The lens is all sex, all the time. Sharpness is amazing, and just that makes it worthwhile to pay the price... IF you can ever find one in stock. :hs:

17. Dwight Schrute

http://www.us1photo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=239

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=NK7020028G&id=NK7020028G&l=PRICEGRABB

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....pc&utm_campaign=NK70200AFSVR&sku=NK70200AFSVR

18. Girth

19. Girth

And :ugh: @ $1899 price

20. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I'm a nikkor fanboy I guess.... I just haven't been happy with any other lenses I've tried.

didn't like the tokina 12-24 or sigma 10-20 or sigma 70-200

21. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Thanks for this post.....I was seriously thinking about switching over after this weekend. You just saved me a ton of dough :mamoru:

22. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Why were ya tryign to switch? You make some beautiful images with your current gear.

23. Girth

Its the truth though, what good is a D700 or a D300, or even a D3 if the lens you want for it is out of stock or hard to find? Just doesn't make sense sometimes, you know?

24. Girth

and I'm not trying to post this to make an 'excuse' to switch... which isn't happening. I'm just saying this because right now I have what I want now, but who's to say when I want more sought after lenses in the future they'll be available. Just kinda sucks that Nikon make us slobber over something thats rarely available only to tease us w/ things that are 'rumors'. :dunno:

25. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

wait...

So you have issues finding ONE lens that just happens to be the single most popular professional zoom lens, right after they release a couple of pro/prosumer cameras, and right before the Olympics, and all of a sudden Nikon's supply issues are a deterrent to buying their cameras?

Seriously?

Girth man, come on. what the fuck. Stop being a bitch.

It's really not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. These lenses appear in stores on a weekly basis. Sure, by Friday the store might be sold out. But by Monday, they get a couple more in. You should know that the piece of glass is THAT good, that every day more people are gonna want one. Paying for a spot and waiting a week is NOT the fucking end of the world.

Jesus christ. You better have been drunk when you posted this shit. All this bullshit for ONE lens. My god.

Oh, and fucking B&H has it in stock.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/274780-USA/Nikon_2139_70_200mm_f_2_8D_VR_G_AFS.html#

Crazy, right? :rolleyes: