A&P beginning with off-camera flash

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by FoolioABC, Feb 6, 2010.

1. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

i've been wanting to experiment with off-camera flash, but don't really know where to start. i have one 550ex flash, but don't really know what to use to trigger it even after doing reading on strobist and other stuff online. i was wondering if you all had an opinion or recommendations as to where to start with off-camera flash triggers that would be good for a beginner (i.e., don't say pocket wizards since i don't have money for that shit)

2. mojito

mojito New Member

just try a pc cync cord, you're wired, and no ettl, but its cheap and reliable. For just starting out, theres less things that can cause problems for you. This way yu can work on exposure, diffusion, flash distance . . .

3. mojito

mojito New Member

you'll need a nikon as-15 to trigger the flash via anything other than a peanut slave

4. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

sorry i didn't mention i shoot canon

5. mojito

mojito New Member

doesn't matter.

wait my bad, Thats if your camera doesn't have a pc sync port.

you'll need a pc to hotshoe adapter for the flash

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

A cactus trigger set up will cost you less than a single 15' sync cord and will work well enough to learn about off camera flash use. I did a mod to the antenna on mine and have about 500-600ft range. They've worked pretty reliably for awhile now though sometimes they do have fits where they won't fire.