GUN Beginner's revolver?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Tex, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Hi all,

I'm going to be looking in to getting my handgun license. I just have a question, what do you people think would be a good starting point in a revolver? I know that a .22 would be the best for low recoil etc., and in Australia new handgun owners are restricted to .22 anyway as far as I know, but I was thinking something with a bit more zing in it, such as a .22 Magnum (pending legality enquiries obviously) might be a bit more fun.

The S&W Model 648 looks nice.

[​IMG]

I'm a noob, and obviously open to advice, so lay it on me. Any better suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2003
  2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i'd be hard pressed to think of a better wheel gun than a S&W.

(For less than $2000 that is. :o )

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

.22 hornet, in a ruger maybe?

4. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Are all Rugers those ugly Western looking things (Redhawk is it?), or do they make some more contemporary-looking stuff too? :)

What is the difference between .22 and .22 Hornet? I'm guessing the Hornet is a more powerful round? If this is correct, is .22 Magnum more powerful again?

5. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

6. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Haha, believe me, Pimp Cat, I was drooling over that one. However, firstly I dont think that's legal in Australia (max calibre for handguns here is .38 I believe, with .40 being acceptable for shooters participating in some special class events), and secondly I would break my wrists trying to fire that. :big grin:

But way :cool:, no doubt.

7. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

werd. i saw it at the local gun shop and about blew my load. hehe, on my forum i posted that i was thinking about getting the XD and a girl from Austraila went wacko on us about owning guns and how we are crazy americans lol

8. kellyclan

Ruger makes their modern SP101 double action revolver in .22LR and .32 H&R Mag

Go for about US$300 new here.

And keep us updated on how working through the legalities goes, i'd be interested to know. We hear lots of horror stories over here about the restrictions on self defense in Australia.

Seems like such an awesome country otherwise. :hs:

9. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Heh, no worries, no doubt I'll let you know if I end up going ahead with it and everything. From what I understand so far:

Once you go through getting your handgun license, you are not permitted to own a handgun for 6 months. After that time you are allowed to own up to .22 calibre (I'm summarising here, telling you what the largest option is), and then I think after a year you're allowed to go up to .38 calibre.

They have other restrictions such as no semi-autos holding more than 10 rounds (same as US?), barrels on semi-autos cannot be under 12cm, barrels on revolvers cannot be under 10cm...

I have a handful of friends who are sporting shooters so I'll go through it all with them. Things are nowhere near as relaxed as they are over in the US though. :(

PS, those Rugers look damn nice!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2003
  10. kellyclan

New production semi-auto mags are restricted to 10rd in the US, yes. :hs: You'll hear us refer to "preban" magazines because mags holding more than 10 rounds are legal to own if they were made before Sept 1994 when the ban took effect.

Our ban will expire in 2004 and hopefully, nothing will replace it, but who knows.

We have restrictions on size/weight/etc for imported weapons, but so far as i recall offhand, any handgun made in the US isn't restricted size-wise. Rifles and shotguns have minimum barrel lengths though.

11. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

12. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

LOL, I hadn't seen the Raging Hornet on their site, I love the Taurus revolvers as well. Drooool!

So can someone tell me, what are the difference between the different .22 types (i.e. .22LR, .22 Hornet, .22 Magnum)?

13. kellyclan

14. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Awesome, cheers for that! :bigthumb: