Beginner's Kit Recommendations?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by ski, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ski

ski New Member

I've read through the stickies and know that there a lot of good products, but its hard to tell what things I should get just to start out.

This will be for my dad and I to do our own cars, so nothing really expensive and nothing too hardcore, just the basics.

Can anyone give a nice list of products I should get to do some cleaning and just getting started? Things like towels, wash, mitts, sponges, buckets, etc, essentially a legit first timers kit that I can buy.

Going to probably be ordering from autogeek, but will take other suggestions.

Definitely want to use ONR, because I have limited access to a hose.

2. ski

ski New Member

Should clarify, the cars are newer and not in need of much hard restoration, just minor scratches you'd expect from driving around a lot and in the winter in the NorthEast.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Did you look at the stickies? Pretty much everything you might need is in there.

4. ski

ski New Member

I did, but its overwhelming. I certainly don't want to buy 350 dollars worth of stuff for just doing my car every few weeks in the summer.

I have this list:
    But wasn't sure if there was anything to add to it, or if brands mattered on the stuff that doesn't list one. Between waxes, and clays, and sealants, and quick sealants, and lubricants, polishes, glazes I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Without seeing your car in person it is hard to say what you'd need beyond your list. At some point you will need to polish your car and for that you need a DA polisher like a PC 7424 XP or a Megiuars G110 v2, pads and polishes.

What you have listed right now will keep your car clean and protected. Adding in a polisher, pads, polishes and clay won't be inexpensive but it isn't something you'd need to repurchase each year. A quart of Meguiars #205, for example, ought to last you 3-4 years at least. A clay bar is good for at least 4-5 uses. Most pads hold up well enough to be used multiple times.

6. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Also look at pawn shops for rotary buffers, I got mine for 39$ Makita 9227

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

You find the right place or person that doesn't quite know what they've got and sometimes it's cheap enough to almost make you feel guilty.

Almost. ;)

8. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

9. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

:werd: Got a TI-89 Titanium for $30 from a pawn shop was awesome

Im pretty sure the pawn shop did the pricing off the non titanium version