MMA Beginner

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Victoriono, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Victoriono

Victoriono New Member

Hey guys

I'm going to start with some type of martial arts, but I'm not sure which one. I've looked up several but it's difficult deciding, maybe I will have to try several. I'm not considering doing it proffesionally or anything, mostly just as a way to learn self defense and increase my confidence and fitness. I'm interested in doing something that teaches me a bit of everything, punches, kicks, elbows and so on. I'm not so interested in jiu jutsu and such where there is a lot of grappling on the floor involved and so on. I did jiu jutsu when I was a kid but I found it quite boring since there were really no kicks or punches.

I'm interested in both muay thai and mma (which I guess maybe have a bit of muay thai in there?) but I'm not sure if either of those would suit me.

Can you help me out?

Thanks

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

maybe do both muay thai and some mma training. you get to hit people in both of those

3. kroneX

kroneX New Member

If you want self defense find a really good Japanese Jiu Jitsu school. Whilst they dont spar (in many schools) you learn lots of striking, throwing and excellent self defense techniques

If you want a form of kickboxing try muay thai

4. chechen

japanese ju jitsu = fail

if you dont even spar, do you think you will be level headed enough to perform anything in a self defense environment?

5. Victoriono

Victoriono New Member

Well, sparring seems like a good thing. I want something that would actually be useful it I were attacked or something.

Is there any grappling at all in muay thai?

6. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

BJJ would be very useful in a real life situation. There is clinch work in Muay Thai, but it's just stand up. You should also look into Judo. What you should just do is find a credible MMA gym in your area, that sounds more like what you want.

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

With 100% seriousness, take up track.

if you are worried about getting attacked, learn how to run and run fast.

8. Redneck Shinobi

:rofl: That's actually a good point. I remember there was a celebrity (can't remember now) but he feels he needs to be able to pick up his kids and run 2.5miles so he can feel safe in case something bad goes down.

9. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Yes, because realistic self defense training happens starting from kneeling, in gis, on mats, with no striking or small joint manipulation.

:rolleyes:

10. chechen

uh.. bjj is about 10x more practical than some guy throwing a slow motion punch at you, you twisting it, and putting him on the ground with some obscure wrist lock.

contrary to popular belief, it is possible to learn takedowns in jiu jitsu.. and/or train with strikes. and some people wear jackets on the street.

there are plenty of documented cases where people used BJJ in a self defense situation. Put a BJJ practitioner against a japanese ju jitsu guy and watch what happens.

11. chechen

and lastly, dont be gay

12. Redneck Shinobi

Hasn't Tim triangled someone in a bar fight?

Why is learning self defense so important to the OP? No matter which one you do you'll gain confidence and probably be more level headed when those situations arise. I used to get really pissed quick and would act first, now I think about the situation and stay calm.

13. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I know a funny story about a boxer who was going to get jumped by a couple of guys but since he was a boxer and was always doing road work he just kind of ran away and his conditioning was so good they couldnt catch him and shit. I guess that was the story.

14. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Ahh japanese Jiu Jitsu is definatly NOT fail, they fight and spar at the school i used to train at. The trick is finding a good japanese jiu jitsu school as there is a lot of shit out there. It is not like aikido with twists and shit, its just nut strikes and security/police restraint holds. In fact there are a lot of security guys who go there just to learn more restraints for there situations, and these are guys that actually need to use the shit they learnt in class

15. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Ahh japanese Jiu Jitsu is definatly NOT fail, they fight and spar at the school i used to train at. The trick is finding a good japanese jiu jitsu school as there is a lot of shit out there. It is not like aikido with twists and shit, its just nut strikes and security/police restraint holds. In fact there are a lot of security guys who go there just to learn more restraints for there situations, and these are guys that actually need to use the shit they learnt in class

16. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I am going to disagree, every fight i have been in involved some punches and me clinching into a judo throw, throwing them punching them a couple of times running away.

BJJ is helpful if someone takes you down, and lets be honest your average BJJer takedown game is :mamoru: BJJ is useful on your back, but judo is a much more appropriate self defence style.

Once you execute a throw, the fight is pretty much over.

BTW OP Mythrel doesn't really train in a martial art, so you can ignore what he says, he is a bit of a keyboard warrior

17. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

if you want self defense find a good krav maga school

you will learn how to kick some1 in the balls , practice being stabbed etc.

18. Victoriono

Victoriono New Member

I think I'm going to try out a mma class to see how it is, as I said in the beginning, I'm more interested in something that involves more punches, kicks and maybe a bit of everything then just take downs and grappling techniques. It may not be the best for self defense and so on, but I already done jiu jitsu and I didn't find it that fun.

Thanks everyone for your help

19. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

remember that mma is a sport, and jiu jitsu is a big part of it. if you did not enjoy jiu jitsu, ask yourself if you will enjoy it in a mma setting.

20. Titus

Titus New Member

buy a gun, get a ccw, take some classes on learning how to properly use the gun in self defense situations. that's your best bet for self defense.

21. Redneck Shinobi

?

You sound more like the keyboard warrior than myself here buddy. I do train and it kinda pisses me off when people say I don't. I do focus mits/bagwork/drills/roll 3 times a week with people that actually do go to gyms and are good(in my opinion). I also spar at least once a week, usually on Sundays but they are going to start doing it on Saturdays now. Dynamic the gyms my buddies go to now is open on Sundays for sparring which I might end up going to. Don't talk about me like you know me, you don't. I may not be with a gym right now, but I am "training".

The way you discribe situations sounds like you've never been in a fight. BJJ guys can have some amazing takedowns so stfu there too. I am guessing you've never actually seen a BJJ comp because there are some better ones than I've seen Judo guys do. BJJ is a great self defense no matter what position you are in so please don't talk about it like you've actually done it.

BTW your back would actually be probably not be the best spot to be in a fight, where someone can punch you in the fucking face, but okay you're right :rolleyes:.

I don't even know what you're disagreeing with in my post to be honest because I recommended a bunch of things (judo included) and just an MMA gym in general. I shouldn't get upset over someone such as yourself, but honestly you've never given good advice unless it was judo related, that's about as far as your knowledge goes. Any thing he/she chooses should boost their self confidence no matter what and make them feel more secure in defending themselves.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  22. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

23. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

Like others have already said in this post, in this day and age, unarmed combat training is not sufficient for street-self defense anymore. you need to be carrying a weapon.

24. Redneck Shinobi

Just don't carry nice dinner plates.

25. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

too soon bro.