Beginner manual driver question...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by georgexi, Jul 26, 2005.

1. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

I just started driving manual three weeks ago so please help a noob out :) When I first started driving manual, I pushed the clutch all the way down between every shift. I've been told this is bad and will wear out your clutch prematurely so lately I've been pushing it partially in (this seemed to make shifting much easier and faster).

By "partially in" I mean the clutch is pushed in just a little past the resistance point. Enough that the shifter isnt locked and the engine doesnt stall when stopped in 1st gear. But if I release the clutch just a little from this point, the engine would begin to sputter and probably stall if I dont give it some gas immediately.

I've been told this method of shifting also isnt good for the car. Just wondering if this is bs since the car doesnt seem to be having problems when I shift using this method. My shifting has been very smooth and I figured its also less wear on the clutch too.

If this is also wrong, I guess just push the clutch a little further (like halfway between resistance point and all the way down)? Someone give me some advice on proper clutch usage? :)

2. level99

level99 Guest

i say just dont ride the clutch pedal and shift slowly and release slowly will do the trick.
    as far as pedal halfway, i usually go 80-90% until i know my clutch is fully disengaged. however this will not work w/ all cars

3. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

better be safe than sorry and just go all the ay down

don't wanna grind the gears :sad2:

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Just past the engagement point is all you need to disengage the clutch. However, if you aren't precise enough with your clutching you could accidentally let it back in enough to engage which will result in grinding gears.

As for pushing all the way in causing excessive wear... not really. It's a little bit of extra pressure on the throwout bearing but it's what it was designed for. The main thing that puts excess wear on the throwout bearing is sitting for extended periods with the clutch in, such as at stoplights, but even that is somewhat debatable.

Not clutching in all the way probably does end up putting more wear on the clutch disc itself, since it's likely spending a fair amount of time at the very edge of friction with the flywheel.

Hopefully all this makes sense to you, if you understand how the clutch system works.

5. SakoTGrimes

SakoTGrimes New Member

Anybody who tells you that pushing the clutch in all the way "is bad" is an idiot. Always do it when you're stopped. I get lazy and only go about %40-50 when I'm moving but I bet going all the way in would be better for it.

6. i8dabomb

i8dabomb New Member

i go in maybe 20% tops... just enough to smoothly shift without powershifting

7. ctfalconk

ctfalconk New Member

8. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

Thanks for the responses guys. I've been pushing it about 75-80% in now and I'm used to it. No grinding gears and still fairly smooth. Now all I gotta do is work on my hills :squint:

9. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

When the clutch is engaged, little/no wear occurs.
    When the clutch is disengaged, no wear occurs.
    When the clutch is engaging/disengaging, the most wear occurs.

Press it all the way in to shift. Your clutch will thank you. Mine is at almost 100,000 miles and still holds strong although I am noticing some slippage. Not bad if you ask me.