A&P beginner, if even

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by limsoup, May 13, 2007.

1. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

ok so i have to do this plant biology project, where I track changes in plants as they grow for the next two weeks. this ideally means pictures of very small flower parts and other plant parts. I can't spend enough to get a digital SLR, but would still like good close-up pictures that I can present to a small classroom.
    basically my photos need to be pretty decent, but not amazing, and I don't ever plan to make money off photography, though if I buy a camera I figure I should buy something that'll let me learn how to use a *real* camera proficiently.
    I'm thinking about buying an older film slr and a macro lens. I figure I can spend up to 250, but I don't want to spend more (if I can't get something that's worth it within that amount, then I'll suck it up and draw pictures out lol)

One thing I couldn't figure out from looking around online was whether I need to develop my own pictures to get good pictures, whether I can do that with color film without too much trouble, and whether it's tougher than http://www.wikihow.com/Develop-Color-Film sounds like. I have plenty time to spend doing it,but if it's a technique it takes a long time to get right, then I maybe shouldn't count on turning any good at it on my first try.

Also, http://detroit.craigslist.org/pho/328455431.html is an ad for a Canon AE1 Program that has a macro lens. I hear the AE1 was/is good, but I don't know about the macro lens.
    http://annarbor.craigslist.org/pho/325532569.html is an ad for a Minolta Maxxum 600si. I don't know anything about that, is it a good place to start, and if I buy that, do you know what to look for in a macro lens that'd be good but not too pricey?
    Thanks for your time, guys, hope this post isn't too noobish or awful.

2. eof

eof New Member

You are not setting yourself up for success...just go out and buy a point and shoot with decent macro capabilities. That way you can take 10 pictures and out of those 10 maybe 1 will be a good "plant part" picture. You could take 10 pictures with a film SLR and not know that they were garbage until they are developed.

For some people Film still can make sense but for you it is really not a good idea.

3. eof

eof New Member

oh...and State > UofM....:hs:

4. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

A quick browse of post one led me to that fact that you would be WELL off with a Casio Exilim EX-Z57

This is a picture I took of Forget Me Nots with said camera. Google the size of this plant's blooms, and be impressed. You can get one for around $200 or less. The picture was reduced to a little more than half size.

[​IMG]

The Blossoms are smaller than your pinky nail ~ about half the size.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  5. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

There's alot of P&S cameras that take some very impressive macro photos. Cameras like the S3 IS (which you could probably find used for less than 250) will take some really nice macro photos. Probably better than you'd manage with a film SLR and a macro lens, honestly. Especially if you really don't know what you're doing and aren't that interested in learning.

6. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

LIES! :eek4:

7. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

Truth!

8. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

thanks guys, I guess I'll go check out some p&s cameras, try out some of my friends', etc. I'll keep you guys posted, in case anybody is interested in the things i'll look at.
    in the meantime I'm still interested in maybe spending some time and learning how to do proper photography. The unversity has a darkroom I can use, and I have a friend willing to help me if I need it. I figure I might take a photography class later on too, though that depends one whether I decide to visit Bangladesh this summer.
    I'm kind of tempted to buy an older film slr because I want to learn to develop film, and I really just kind of want to use one of those cameras. that said, would those cameras in the links be okay?
    About me: I have a lot of time on my hands, and I am generally a very patient person.

9. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

canon S3 ftw