GUN Beginner Handgun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jeff Merr, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I am going to college and majoring in Criminal Justice, if i decide to do patrol, i would like to graduate with decent skill in shooting. Whats a good beginner handgun to learn aiming and stuff on? 9mm? what brands/types do you guys recommend? Im also trying to keep within a decent budget, thanks.

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

If you wanta gun that's accurate out of the box and you can learn basic shooting skills AND be able to shoot a lot, then I recommend a Ruger 22/45. It's a semi-auto .22LR. You'll be able to afford to shoot it a lot more than any other gun, especially on a college budge.

If you're wanting a gun that can also be used for self-defense and you can shoot a good bit, then a 9mm is a good choice. There are a lot of options and the only thing I can suggest is going to a store and finding what you like. I have a S&W 915 (u can find these used) and a Glock 26 in 9mm. I also have an XD40 but wouldn't hesitate at all to get an XD in 9mm.

I can get 9mm CCI Blazer for about $4 for 50 rounds. It's only range ammo though. There is good selection of 9mm rounds for self-defense.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think .22's are great to learn on. Super cheap ammo makes it affordable to get in lots of trigger time, ruger mk II or III's should run you from 200-300. If you insisted on getting something suitable for self defense as well as learning to shoot, then I'd say 9mm from whatever major manufacturer you find you shoot well with.

Take a class, the nra has a class finder on their website, learn to shoot, learn to clean a gun, find a range, rent a few guns in your price range, buy which ever you like best.

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

22's and 9mm would be a good choice. read the sticky.. go shoot some guns. pick what feels good.

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

:werd: if you've never fired a gun before. Might as well not start out w/ bad habits.

Your local gun can tell you where they're at.

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ive shot a 357 Magnum, lol, quite a big gun, not neccesarily what im looking for. What is the difference between "range" bullets and "self defense" bullets? I figured any 9mm bullet could be used as self defense :dunno: Also what are some good websites to buy used guns so i can get an idea of pricing? thanks

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Range bullets are usually cheaper ammo. The CCI Blazer is a good example. They have aluminum cases and hardball ammo. Winchester White Box that people buy at Wal-Mart is also a common round to shoot at the range.

Your self-defense ammo will be the good stuff. They put more quality control into those rounds and they're designed to do a lot of damage to stop someone if you ever have to use it on someone. Most are too expensive to be able to go buy a couple hundred to put down range though. I usually shoot one box of self-defense ammo when I go the range though.

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I'd get a 9mm, either a Glock 19 or Glock 17. You might as well get used to the Glock now, most PD's issue them.

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Cool, where can i look at prices on used glocks online? Is there like an Ebay for guns? im assuming i need some sort of certification as well?

10. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

www.gunbroker.com

but buying online is more trouble than its worth, IMO... you need it sent to a local FFL (dealer), and theyll charge a transfer fee of about $30.

11. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

There is a Pawn shop here that does any one for $15. One gun store charged $30 and one charged $25. When I had it done I went to the place that charged me $30 and it was as easy as buying a new handgun from them.

If u get a good deal or find what you want online, then take it.

http://auctionarms.com/ is another online auction place for guns.

12. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Bought my AR online and saving about $75-100 even with FFL transfer and shipping, I am just impatient and have to wait on it now

13. Chittenden

Chittenden New Member

How does a 9mm SIG compare to a Glock? Ive always loved the way SIG's look, is a sig not a beginner gun?

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Both are good handguns and Sigs are fine for a beginner. The Sig is going to cost more (new vs new). If you can find a range that rents them and try each one out. Which pistol is best is really an individual thing.

15. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Damn i did some research on gunbroker website, all the glocks are selling for 450-500, is this how much they usually go for? thats way out of my price range, i was thinking of like 300 at the most for a used one. Am i SOL or what?

16. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Check some gun stores around you if they have any used guns.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

18. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

if you want a great gun for around $300, look at the Ruger P-series.

reliable as hell, built like a tank.. kinda bulky to some people, but you can't beat em for the price.

A Taurus 24/7 or a Millenium Pro would also fit the bill nicely.

for great prices on the Ruger P-series, download the CDNN pdf catalog at:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

the S&W Sigmas arent bad either.. the NEW ones.. the old ones are pure shit in the shape of a gun.. the new ones have a model number ending with 'VE' .. those also go for just shy of $300 new..

but if you just want a lot of good practice on the range, a 22 would be a good choice, and a Ruger MKII or the new MKIII can easily be had for under $300 new.

if you want to go even cheaper, check into a Star BM 9mm. good quality surplus 9mm's.. they go for around $150 usually, check out www.aimsurplus.com or www.southernohiogun.com

if you start to narrow it down, just do some research, make sure you know what you want before you buy..

lots of good forums, where you can also utilize the search functions, and find many threads about whichever gun you're looking into..

general gun forums:

www.thehighroad.org
    www.thefiringline.com
    http://forums.gunbroker.com

and manufacturer specific forums:

www.glocktalk.com for glocks, obviously..
    www.hs2000talk.com for Springfield XD's..

and of course this forum theres always some good info to be found..

:bigthumb:

fuck I want to go to the range :rant2:

19. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I did a little research, i went to a local range/retailer and checked out some guns, i REALLY like the Glock 17 9mm, i have big hands so it fits perfectly, really nice gun. They had new ones for like $580, he said they dont really get used ones because they are such a reliable and popular gun. Now i need to do some hunting and try to find a used one

20. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

21. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

22. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

So it looks like i will have to accept the fact that i will be paying atleast $400 for a Glock 17

23. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

24. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

if thats what you want, yeah, you should be able to find a used one for about $400..

you can get a new one for $449, plus shipping and transfer fee, from:

http://www.topglock.com/catalog/pistols_glock.htm

but $580 seems high for a G17.. even my G34 was less than that, and the longslides are usually a little more..

shop around

25. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I thought thats what i was bidding on :dunno: It comes with the gun too?