Before Sunset : Ethan Hawk

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by foad, Dec 13, 2004.

1. foad

foad New Member

Well.. lets just say a major disappointment. Ending was cut way too short and the movie was missing a lot of substance. Had way too much dialogue.

I would however give it 2 stars out of 5. :squint:

2. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Yeah, I really liked Before Sunrise, but didn't like this movie much.

3. Gai

Gai New Member

Bummer to hear. I Liked Before Sunrise. Was hoping this was a worthy sequel.

4. johan

johan Active Member

way too much dialogue huh? Actually I really liked Before Sunset. The principal actors have clearly matured in their craft, and the result is very watchable.

Frankly I found it very realistic in showing a couple of 30 somethings reconnecting on a mental and emotional level. It was weirdly voyeuristic being that close to the process which seemed all too real to me. Whereas the first movie was mostly about them discovering the city, and in parallel, each other, this one was all about them reconnecting.

If you've ever met up again with a long-lost friend, someone who seemed to jell with you on every level, you can remember the torrential gush of words which even then seemed too slow to communicate all the years worth of living that you're too eager to catch up on.

The movie ends at precisely the same point as the first one: at the pivotal juncture where to go any further would answer the question: do they continue their lives or begin anew.

Actually, I thought this one went a little further and actually answered the question, but frankly the matter is addressed within the first few minutes of the film where Hawke's character is answering the very same question put to him by the interviewers in the bookstore. The answer depends on you, whether you're a cynic, or a romantic.

I think the ideal audience for Sunset are those who might've seen the first film when they were actually in their 20's like the characters, and are now in their 30's themselves, just like the characters, and have probably gone through something like this, where that one incredible, amazing girl who connected with you like no other, somehow got away and you often reminisce wistfully over what might have been.

5. foad

foad New Member

Very good point. I must be a cynic. :)

The thing is, it didn't bother me until the ending. I was waiting for them to reconnect. After the reconnection, I was left with wanting more. At that time I had the chance to reflect on the rest of the movie and thought "damn they talked a lot". They need to have a another movie "Breckfast In Paris" :rolleyes:

However I didn't have that same feeling in Lost In Translation.