A&P Beer Cart

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by GMACK24, Mar 24, 2009.

1. GMACK24

GMACK24 Active Member

2. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

:cool:

They paying you?

3. GMACK24

GMACK24 Active Member

of course son

: 0 ) yeah not top dollar but pretty good paper.

and yes the beer cart will live its life in the TD Banknorth Garden. Look for my cart for a beer : )

4. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

badass, congrats. :)

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Cool! Free beer for life??

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:werd:

for all of OTAP :bowdown:

7. Bloke

Bloke Banned

oh shit free wheat beer?

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

9. GMACK24

GMACK24 Active Member

Thanks.
    I should have made that a stipulation.

Will Work For Beer : )

but I got a check instead : (

The other cart is Stella Artois and Hoegaarden.

I deff have to go to a celtics / Bruins game or concert now to see my handy work.

10. Bloke

Bloke Banned

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

You obviously have your priorities wrong.

Good job however!

12. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Just use some of the beer cart monies to buy some beer... works out to the same thing. ;)

13. GMACK24

GMACK24 Active Member

yep bought a 6 pack of Sam White w / some of the money.
    the rest of the dough is / went into the Bank

14. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Congrats :coold:

15. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Not to put a damper on things, but did you check with the stadium to see if you could legally use it for a commercial purpose such as this?

Remember, they have the property rights and they could very easily not want the photo of it used on a beer cart. If they dont both you and the company could be in a bit of trouble.

Might not be an issue at all, but you may want to make sure before there is an issue.

Congrats on them wanting to use the photo, but you got to be careful of things like this. If you already checked this out and cleared it, good for you and sorry for bringing it up. But folks need to know things like this are not just free to sell commercially without getting the proper releases.

16. Drunken Karnie Midget

He took the photo. He has the rights too it.

That's like saying he's got to check with the statue of liberty before he can sell a picture he took of it to a post card company to use.

17. OneTonGoldfish

OneTonGoldfish Active Member

18. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yeah, he took the photo, NO, he does not have total rights to it. Yes, he has the copyright of the photo, so others cant use it however they want, but NO he does not have the right to what is IN the photo.

You should do some research on property releases and rights. That is a private building, with sponsorship and other visibly identifiable things on it. You cannot simply sell it to whoever you want for whatever you want. There are rights involved.

For instance, there is the Bud Light logo visible, it seems to be on a cart that doesnt sell Bud. Bud has the right to NOT be associated with that. Additionally, the people that manage the building or the sponsor of the arena may not want it on a beer cart for fear that it gives the impression that they condone drinking.

Just cause you take a photo of something does not give you free reign to do whatever you want with it. Do some research and learn something before pretending you know what you're talking about.

The field of photography I make my living off of has a lot of this. I have to deal with companies logos and names and people's images and all kinds of things. I cannot simply sell a photo that has a Coke logo in it to anyone that wants to use it because, under the law, Coke has the right to control how and where their logo and image is used. Same thing in this case.

Its likely not going to be an issue, I'm asking though if he even considered this or looked into it to make sure he was safe to do what he was doing.

I also brought it up so that people like yourself would be able to learn the proper way to do things and possibly not get caught up in a legal issue in the future by thinking that just cause they snap the photo they can do whatever they want.

You may also want to look into the Statue of Liberty comment. I dont know enough about that landmark to comment, but there are many landmarks that you do not have the right to distribute and make money off of. Some you do, so you have to find out. For instance, you cannot take a photo of the Eiffel Tower and use it commercially. When you see images of the Tower in posters or post cards, etc, there is a royalty being paid or at least a permission given. There are others like that too.

I'm just saying be careful and do your research. We all want to sell things and make money off our business or hobby, but it is FAR FAR FAR from being as easy as just saying you took the photo you have the right to do what you want with it.

19. Drunken Karnie Midget

Just for clarification... you may not be able to sell it for commercial use (i.e. a billboard), but you can still make money off of it if say someone wants to use it in a book, outside of an advertising capacity?

20. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yes, there are other ways that do not require releases. Such as anything editorial and also limited uses that fall under the "fair use" rules, such as educational and some other things.

Just need to do your research and know who your selling it to and how they want to use it.

21. Drunken Karnie Midget

Thanks for the info. I doubt i'll be selling any of my work anytime soon, but that'll help keep my bacon out of the fryer if ever i do. :wavey:

22. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

what if you are just selling prints? do you still have to get permission to do that?

23. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Prints are a grey area. There are two trains of thought and I've never been able to get a totally definite answer or had the money to be willing to test it.

Some say its not a problem for limited print sales as that is a form of art and therefore not "commercial" and subject to the privacy rights.

Others say, its a money making venture and therefore commercial.

You'll generally find that people that shoot sports and similar stuff will not sell the prints without the proper licensing since they have to deal with sanctioning bodies and the sports figures themselves and generally its not worth the risk to "test" out the art theory. Not to mention, even if you win legally, the sanctioning bodies and arenas can always deny your future credentials since they are private events and have the right to keep whoever they want out of their events. So selling one photo could ruin your future earning potential.

Now, street shooters and people that shoot buildings and other things, are much more likely to be able to sell and also get away with it under the art statutes. You're generally a lot less likely to have an arena owner coming after you for royalties than a sports figure.