GUN Beep Beep Beep

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Want2race, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Back the truck up..

Whats it mean when it says the XD is double action only.. and then mentions some olympic crap.. is it double action oonly or not ??

2. Strizzo

Strizzo Texas > *

its because of the safe-fire style of action that it uses(like the glock) it is just put into that category because there's no real designation for that type of handgun. in reality, i'd say its actually single action only but i guess because there's no hammer to cock, its called DAO

3. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

The nice thing is that it can be tuned to be like a custom 1911 trigger because it's actually a single action. You cock the internal hammer back all the way when you rack the slide and the trigger on an XD just releases the sear.

4. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I'm still a bit confused.
    So is the first shot heavy? or are all the shots the same weight?
    Even the guy at the gun store couldnt explain it

5. Staats

Staats New Member

On a double action the first pull is the long pull

6. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

all shots are the same. The Glock and the XD have similar pulls. Difference is that with the Glock, the hammer is at a 2/3 or so cock and pulling the trigger first takes it the rest of the way back then releases it. The XD the hammer is all the way back and the trigger just releases it. Same thing happens in both every shot from the first to the last. You set the hammer when you rack the slide and load the 1st round in the chamber. They are ready to go right then and there.

You can then tune the triggers in both guns to take up slack and also pull. The XD since it's just releasing the sear can be set rediculously light. I think the lightest is 2.5 lbs with zero creep and reset and breaks like a glass rod. (only recommended for serious competition shooting). Where true DAO guns usually rely on a long heavy pull as a safety, the Glock and XD rely on the trigger safeties. Gets even more complicated when it comes to the rules in the competitions as to what class they fall under.

7. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

This is one of the reasons I really like the XD, I sold my XD9 4 " to my dad, but I plan to get a tactical model, and modify it to be a fun race/range gun.

I have fired lots of Glocks, the XD trigger is a bit better, I have no idea why people think differently, sackriding mostly :dunno:

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I like the lighter pull on the XD stock but it is a little mushy.

I'd really like to see one with a good trigger job on it.

9. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

no flame intended

ive shot my buddies XD 4 inch, and it seems to have more of a flip up in terms of recoil compared to my g17. am i crazy or as any one else noticed this

10. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Do you need a new assembly to tune it or is it something that can be done with stock parts?

11. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I'd like to know also. I've heard about trigger jobs on XD's and the wonders they do. I never liked the long creep of the pull. The trigger weight was never a prob though.

12. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

word...the slack on the trigger pull is pretty big :hs:

13. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Right now it's gunsmith only (or owner done if you can find someone to tell you how to do it)

www.pistol-gear.com has links to a very good xd gunsmith that does a hell of a job supposedly. Verm's XD45 gap came back with a trigger job and it's slick. no slack, no mush and at 4 lbs. It feels even more crisp than his 1911.

14. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

ALso.. Is it worth buying the kit? I saw the whole thing and dont know if that holster is worth a damn.. I doubt i woudl ever use the mag holster.

What else comes in the kit you wouldnt get on your own ?

15. Furner

Furner New Member

all shots are equally light. the action of pulling the trigger in no way moves the firing pin back, the trigger just moves the sear.
    scheer or whoever is supposed to be coming out with a drop-in trigger kit for the XD