MIL Been Thinking of Enlisting...v.Marines

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Noah, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

My younger brother is a Marine, though not active now, the Corp did teach him well. Being the older brother, I went off to college first. Graduated...and have found that the Austin Employment market is less than desirable. So...I met with a Recruiter here in Austin a short while ago...took their practice ASVAB, scored a 70.

6'1", 153 pound tall and lanky individual...not much in for fitness, though I don't see a problem meeting the minimum qualifications for fitness there is certainly room for improvement.

I need information OT Marines. What are things like? What expectations should be set now that will assist in the future?

Edit - Yes I did read the FAQ ;)

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

sucker

3. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Just joking. But you do need to be more specific on what you mean when you ask "what are things like?" --- that is definitely a very broad question. Can you think of anything more specific?

4. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

Let me rephrase that then - tell me about your experience in the Marines please.

;)

I know my Brothers view point...but after he and his tank crew were left for dead in the middle of the Iraq desert....the has a slightly biased view.

5. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I'm just a boot who checked into my unit a couple weeks ago, so if you have questions about Iraq or what being in a unit is like, I wouldn't know yet. Plenty of experience Marines on here who do know though.

My experience is....I hated boot camp. I made it hard because I avoided making friends and was shitty to a lot of people, so people were shitty to me in return and it made my life hell. It doesn't matter how tough you are in boot camp, it just matters how many friends you have, because pretty much every Marine likes to fight, and the odds of someone winning a fight against more than 1 person is really low.

For the first 3 weeks, everything stresses you out. Finally, the last week, you're starting to get the hang of things, then they ship your ass up north to Camp Pendleton (if you're west coast). Finally when you feel better and you're not as stressed out, they shove the physical shit down your throat. The hikes are a bitch, but some people are a lot better than others. Just because you can run does not mean you can hike.

Third phase is easy, you just get kind of stressed about learning all of your knowledge and first aid. Everything else is easy. You spend a lot of time on final drill and working on your uniforms. If you're not doing that, you're studying or PTing.

SOI (school of infantry) was a blast because we learned a lot of cool shit, and plus you get the weekends off, and San Diego has a lot of shit to do. Not to mention, every girl in Southern California is fucking hot.

But no matter how hard boot is (which its really easy, you just think it is hard while you're there.), it is all worth it whenever you get home and go to a bar and don't have to buy a drink, because most the time people buy them for you if they know you're a Marine. Girls love it. College benefits. Easy to get in great shape after you're done training. Pretty much the most prestigous thing you can do right now in the country.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

That picture you posted of yourself, you looked like you were in incredible shape??

7. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

well im not gonna reenlist..but lets just say that if i did ever wanna stay in the military i would cross over into the air force.

8. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

I think you need to be aware that you'd probably go to Iraq :dunno: People always tell me that people fresh out of boot camp in the Army and Marines usually go straight to Iraq.

9. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

boot camp will kick your ass. if you join, id focus mostly on building up your legs before you ship. that and do pullups. the rest.... it doesnt matter how strong you are or in how good of shape, they will put some pain in your body regardless of how long it takes. the backbone of the Corps is the hardworking enlisted NCO's, and those are the ppl that will take pretty good care of you as long as youre not a shitbag.

i hate to say it as an enlisted member, but given your degree you could go to OCS and make some dough. 20 years and youre retired

10. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

june :hs:

11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

me too bro. A nearby unit (1/24) is going in June for 10 months. Since I haven't been yet, i've been told i'm going with them.

You going with 1/24 too?

12. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

im in 1/24

13. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

Don't do it.

14. Socrates

Socrates New Member

That's what StudLei has been telling me too. He said that it had to be an all-volunteer thing.

My platoon sergeant (staff sergeant) called me up and told me that he got out of a conference with the CO and said that anyone from our unit who hasn't been yet can pretty much plan on going with 1/24.

My friend, who is a senior lance corporal (been to iraq) said it was bullshit and will probably change anyways, and to not believe it.

Any advice on that situation, anyone?

15. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:ugh:

This is still the military we're talking about, right?

16. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

yeah but they activate units not people. i have a contract to work for 1/24, specifically charlie company

17. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

So true, so true

I have loved it, but at the same time I have been pushed mentally and physically. Chances are you will be deployed, so don't let it shock you if it happens.

We carry a huge amount of pride in our Corps. You become a part of something bigger.

18. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

To Iraq?

I'm going out tonight to search bunkers. IBIED!

19. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

If you're lookin' to serve your country in a different way but still get all the benefits of bein' a military member join me in the U.S. Coast Guard. I'm serious, it's a great service. I reenlisted this year for 6 more years, just completed my first 4 in July.

Definitely look into OCS since you're college complete.

20. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

EXCELLENT! We get threads from time to time in here asking about Coast Guard info. I'll have to start forwarding them to you. :wavey:

21. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

Hehe, no problem. I give any advice I can offer from personal experience in the USCG.

Well off to the gym...

22. krazy-p

krazy-p New Member

how hard is it for canadians to get into the marines, i always here of illegal aliens joining the marines, any info??

23. Accord

Accord New Member

Illegal aliens cannot join the military, to join you must be a resident alien in the U.S., or in other words you just need a green card.

24. Accord

Accord New Member

:rofl: :bigthumb:

25. krazy-p

krazy-p New Member

i heard of a bunch of canadians joining the marines, went down to the states, a couple weeks later, they were in.