GUN Been thinking about my Bug-In cache v.Haiti earthquake

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by VolksDragon, Jan 14, 2010.

1. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

Full article HERE.

Makes me realize how thin the margin of survival can be, and how even a short disruption of the infrastructure can be catastrophic.

Yes, I realize Colorado is not Haiti, and an earthquake here would be dealt with in a vastly different manner, but chaos like what is being experienced in Haiti right now goes a long way to inspire me when considering my stores of food, ammo and water. Crisis like this makes me feel just a little less crazy about my survival / preparedness agenda.

So anyway...in my limited space, I have a stash of food and water that would allow the GF and I to "bug-in" and hunker down at home for about 14 days if we had to, maybe 3 weeks if we're careful with rations. I don't have any special water storage other than bottles, and I don't have any significant purification stuff, either. I have enough weapons, ammo and communications equipment to overthrow a small country, but I am starting to think 2 weeks of sustenance might not be enough in the event of a natural disaster, pandemic, etc...

Any thoughts? For my prepared friends, how long could you stay in? How much have you spent?

2. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

I have a nearby location (couple minutes on foot) that I could stay holed up in for three months, assuming I didn't bathe, and I recycled my piss in the still. It would be a lot more comfortable if it rained.

But yeah, it's worth some thought. And people call me insane for preparing for this kind of shit.

3. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

Nobody would call anyone in PaP crazy at the moment, especially if they had water.

4. GlassUser

No, not that place. This is my private place for just me. I share that depot with a couple of close friends.

PS your live ID died.

5. GlassUser

I got called it in a thread today.

6. GlassUser

From my main forum BOB thread:
    wat

7. GlassUser

Shelter for one bitch. Was me not sharing the depot enough?

8. GlassUser

Fuck yes. I'll be down there right next to you.

9. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Most important survival tool is lots of gasoline and a car to put it in. In the event of most disasters you don't want to be bugging in. You want to be way the fuck out of town. So for example would you want to be in haiti right now even with lots of water and medical supplies?

If power is out, gas pumps don't work. The ones that have generators and do work have already been emptied by the people who got out before you. So your now stuck in your house (which is covered by 20 foot of water/snow/radiation/zombie bodies/fire/looters).

Those that prepare are also typically the last to leave which means they are stuck on the road behind everyone who ran out of gas or broke down. You then end up on the bus to the stadium (essentially jail).

So the short term solution is get out of dodge before anyone else, and then you can get any supplies you need when you're 3 states away. A small amount of supplies will get you through the trip.

The longer term solution is how can you sustain yourself indefinitely given complete collapse. Bottled water isn't going to help you 6 months out, neither is drinking your own piss.

10. GlassUser

So what are you going to do when you find your thousand gallons of gas have turned to varnish, and the roads are clogged with four million of your closest neighbors executing the same plan?

11. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Options are key. Putting all your resources into a plan to leave is just as bad as putting all of them in a plan to stay. You need an idea of what to do if either one is suddenly a better option than the other, not just one of those regardless of whether it's the poor choice.

I don't have a firm plan of action, although I do have a lot of supplies (water is what i'm mainly short on unfortunately) I don't however have a good idea of how to GTFO if I need to. Events like this remind me that I need to work on that!

12. GlassUser

General supplies and several flexible plans are the key. Similarly prepared friends help a lot too.

13. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

If you're not in front of the 4 million other retards you're pretty much fucked no matter what. That's really my point. Treat and cycle your gas.

I'm not saying don't have supplies. I'm saying don't expect to bug in during a full on disaster. Two week power outage in the country, sure no problem eat some canned beans and have a camp fire. You really don't need much if any preparation to live 2 weeks in the country.

Anything beyond that and shit get's super dangerous. Talk to a few dozen people from new orleans and you'll understand. If you're in a major city and there's no power for 3 days, people are getting shot in the street.

When you're in disaster land something as obscure as flood lights become a life or death item. You need coordinated security with a night watch (hard with 2 people). You can die because of a cut on your finger.

Even if you are reasonably prepared, you have food, you have guns, etc. Not sleeping for days, getting shot at, people around you flipping out or dieing, causes you to break down. You then do dumb shit which is usually what get's you killed. That's if your house/supplies aren't under water or on fire.

In a large disaster there's not much to debate or consider, have a plan to get out and be the first one out. Preferably with a fuel efficient 4x4 so you can drive around the retards on the highway.

14. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

I agree wholeheartedly that having many different verstaile and executable options to both GTFO and bunker down is key. Commiting to do one or the other ahead of time, and putting all your zombie eggs in that basket is stupid.

If at all feasible in a given situation, staying in place makes more sense for me than most, as my professional existence gives me access to resources and infrastructure that most people don't enjoy. I also have an obligation to stay and react / respond to large-scale emergencies, but that obligaiton ceases to be important to me the second my family is threatened.

My GTFO plans are pretty solid, with varied locations, methods and routes. I still need to do some research on fuel storage and rotation. Anyone know how long additives like Stabil, etc extend the storage intervals of....say...30 gallons of gas?

15. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

This.

16. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Do you mind me asking what you do for a living? I am just curious.

17. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

I drive an ice cream truck. :wavey:

18. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I've researched this a few times and can't come up with any scientific data. That said, I typically have 30-40 gallons of fuel at home all treated with stabil. I try to cycle at 6 months, but last weekend used some that was 1 year old without any issues. It was the gf's car, so no exact fuel mileage #'s, but I've used 6 month old fuel treated w/ Stabil with NO loss of mileage in my Tacoma.

19. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

Sounds like good data to me, thanks! What containers did you use? several 5 & 10 gallon jugs, barrels?

20. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I have a couple cheapo 6+ gallon plastic gas cans, but the rest are in 20L (5gal) Nato cans. The true Nato cans are hard to get after they were banned from new importation earlier this year, but they sure are solid and make fueling easy. Not a drip gets spilled.

21. GlassUser

I need more water purification tools in my bag. Sigh.