Been looking for a nice compromise. TV and surround. My budget: $1500-ish

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DC, Jan 27, 2009.

1. DC

DC OT Supporter

I am by no means a baller but I just moved, and all of the stuff at my old place happened to be my old roommate's equipment, and my living room is completely void of home electronics right now.

I'm trying to avoid HTIB if possible. I will be sitting around 8 feet away from the TV, so I would prefer a 42'' or so. LCD or Plasma, I'm leaning towards LCD since I am a gamer and don't want to worry about burn-in, if it's still as much of an issue.

I've been looking all over for TVs (Newegg, tigerdirect, etc) but don't think I can trust the reviews as I know for a fact people get paid to rate products highly. I always start with the negative reviews and see if there is a pattern, but I'm not seeing any TVs that really stand out. I did like the specs I saw on the Panasonic 42pz80 for the price, but my plasma paranoia kicks in, and I have a feeling when it comes down to it I'll be much better off with LCD.

As for sound, like I said, I'm trying to avoid any low-mid end HTIB because I've been disappointed with the lack of input/outputs on the recievers. The last one I bought didn't even have a freakin optical in.

2. DC

DC OT Supporter

I guess another question would be which mid-level brands of TV do you prefer? And what should I avoid at all costs.

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

there's a 1080p Toshiba 40" LCD that's $799 most places now (40RV525U).. i've seen it at $750 around christmas, and it will probably go lower. Has tin can speakers, but you're getting surround sound.

My brother has one, great looking tv!

Onkyo has some good 7.1 HTIB systems for around $450. Their receivers are their high point, so you won't be upset with limited input options. It's hard to beat onkyo receivers for the price.

Their speakers will get the job done, but there's much room to upgrade later if you want to.

I'd leave $50-100 for wiring.. or be smart and shop at monoprice or something.

The three brands i've been fond of our Panasonic, Toshiba, and Samsung. i've heard iffy things from LG and Vizio only looks good in it's native resolution.

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

For a Tv in plasma look at the Panasonics. The PZ80 is gonna be the cheapest 1080p panel they have. It's gonna be around $1k online. I have a plasma that I game on and have no issues. I have a 42" panasonic in my bedroom that has been very good.

If you need to go lcd route, go for a 6+ series samsung. They are going to have the best picture out of lcd panels, but you are probably gonna spend $1300 or more for a 40". The Samsung 5 series is ok, but the glossy screen on the 6 series really helps with teh black levels and overall contrast. Plus you get 120hz on 6+. Sony is overpriced, LG sucks across all models, Toshiba is shitty as well and I don't even think about Sharp or Vizio.

Realistically, if it was me I'd buy the Panasonic 42pz80 for $1k.
    For audio, thats tough. What is the absolute max you can spend? What do you want out of your audio system? Are you one of those people who just wants something better than tv speakers, and doesn't need the ability to upgrade? Or do you want to have a really good audio setup?

5. DC

DC OT Supporter

I guess I'm worried more about getting a decent receiver. I could honestly probably throw my Logitech Z5500s on my TV until I got some good speakers. I think a decent receiver is higher priority, and I can build a set of decent speakers as I can get them. Like I Said, it wouldn't be much work to throw my 5500s on the TV for a while, and they're great PC surround speakers. I live in an apt so I don't want to go too crazy, anyway.

6. DC

DC OT Supporter

I should be good on wiring. I have a box o' cables in my utility closet. I already have VGA, DVI, HDMI, and component cables. Also, I have a ton of speaker wire from helping friends install stuff. If I do need anything, I'll be getting it from Firefold, anyway. I've always been treated right, there, and the prices are crazy.

7. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

. on the plasma talk.

I decided to go the LCD rought. I spent a good amount of time in stores and narrowed my choices down to a Sony XBR6 or Samsung A750/A850. In the end I thought the Sony image was worth the extra price. In HD there wasn't enough of a difference to justify the price but when watching how they each handled SD quality video it was worlds apart.

In the end, you will be happy with whatever you get (internet opinions/reviews are good but not to be taken as gospel). Just go spend a few hours a day for a week in several stores comparing. Don't just look at them in one store, check them out at a few places and make sure the settings are default or at least not too jacked up. Everyone has their own opinion on how video should look and which TV has the best picture, go with whatever you view as the best for your money (I know I am a minority in thinking that the Sony picture is the best and worth the money, but thats me).

Check for deals, I got my Sony 46" XBR6 for $2100 - $420 MIR locally (will be $1680 in the end).... not the best price I've heard about but good enough to make me happy.

8. masan

masan Pardon the Interruption

That's a great price on the xbr6. I'm hoping for a good price on it...maybe when '09 tvs start rolling out.

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

maybe shoot for a yamaha receiver and then find a pretty nice HTIB speaker setup. or watch for the year-end clearance sales at your local electronic stores.

10. Ihateusernames

Ihateusernames What's This?

love my 47" xvt series vizio that i got from costco for 999. and since its from costco comes with a 2 year warranty.

11. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member